The Developments In The Unnao Rape Case Makes Me Believe We’ve Lost Our Humanity

Recently, the Unnao rape survivor was critically injured in what appears to be a minutely-planned murder. She is battling for her life when a few of her family members have already lost this battle of life and death. I have written this article in light of these events.

When I entertain the thought that there is a chance she might lose her life, my very soul trembles in anger and disgust. Anger not only at the perpetrators but at myself for being a man, disgust at myself for I realise that this too shall pass without making a dent in our iron-clad, blackened souls.

We have always been animals. Animals who thought that they have left their bestiality behind a long time ago, who think that they have cut cleanly the heads of their demons when they moved to create civilizations. But our true vehemence, our depravity which has shaped and nurtured us since time immemorial creeps on us sporadically but with increasing frequency. Those demons whose heads we thought we had felled recur like that abomination hydra- two fire-spewing heads in place of the felled one.

I know I’ll always be an animal, so will be the rest of humanity. And as much as we like to believe in this whole charade of “rules govern humans“, everybody knows power is the key to it all. I strongly feel democracy, liberty, justice, equality, woman empowerment, etc. are just ideas constructed to keep the weak and the downtrodden fooled. The powerful won then, the powerful are winning now and the powerful will keep winning tomorrow.
Featured Image Credit: Flickr
For Representation Only