This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Sunidhi Malla. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Girls, What Would You Do If A Guy Slapped You In Public? 

Like Lara Dutta, I would like to ask you “Kya aapne Kabir Singh dekhi hai?” (Have you watched Kabir Singh?), “Kya aapke mann me Kabir Singh dekhne ke baad kuch sawaal khade ho rahe hai?” (Did you have questions after watching the movie?), “Kya aapko Kabir Singh jaisi movie do bar dekhne waale logon par gussa aa raha hai”? (Are you irritated by people who watched the movie?)

So, you guys need to read this article, available free of cost.

4 weeks and 266 crores later, Kabir Singh is touching new heights every day. Even before starting to talk about the critics, I would like to take the privilege to strongly salute the hard work and dedication of the entire team who worked relentlessly to make this film a huge success.

Coming back to my purpose for writing this article here; being a youngster of this diverse nation, I feel this is my duty to have and voice my opinions where ever and whenever I can, and speaking of opinions, I am very interested in knowing what people think of my following questions?

1. Girls, would you like to go out with Kabir Singh who weighs 90 kgs and has a big, fat nose? (And, please don’t give me the ‘he has a good heart’ crap)

2. Boys, if you truly love your girl, would you really want to be there every time she does something and make her more dependent on you? Or, instead, would you rather she does her own stuff and you just be by her side whenever she needs you?

3. Girls, what would you do if a guy slapped you in public?

4. Come on, tell me, did you laugh when the male lead unzipped his pants to scare off the nurse?

5. Chubby girls are like a teddy bear, chubby girl and beautiful girl make best friends. Tell me, are chubby girls made for these supporting roles only?

The point I’m trying to bring home is that – Let’s be real for a second. Instances like this (the kind shown in Kabir Singh) happen, yes girls do get harassed, boys, to some extent, are possessive and overprotective, yes the relationship gets toxic and abusive, and yes it is true that girls in three out of five cases choose to remain silent. So, let’s keep our  “Had I been there, I would have slapped him” attitude and reaction in our side pockets, shall we?

Let’s realise that the mainstream media plays a significant role in shaping our society. The man kisses a woman and slaps her and gets away with it, and guess what? The woman says nothing. He insults her and her family, hits at her self-esteem by making her realise that she is nothing without the man, but she decides to keep quiet and this is a harsh damn reality. Ask yourself. The last time your partner insulted you or your family, what did you do in response? Nothing. All this patience, why? Because she’s in love? Is THIS love? Really? I thought love was a feeling where two people can’t even imagine their lives without each other, they feel free to express themselves, decide mutually and act maturely, where the meaning of the word ‘respect’ is understood in the strictest of terms.

The behaviour shown in the movie is not love, it is a toxic relationship. No matter how the movie ended, a few good deeds cannot disguise the sinister ones. I am not blaming the movie or the characters, but the storyline because it is very clear to all of us that we have a big percentage of a passive audience as compared to an active audience in India. We follow what we are shown. Some comments say the same.

T

We must understand that our nation is still in its adolescence, we take what we are shown and watching the same things over and over again affect even the most resilient minds.  What do you think propaganda and brainwashing are all about?

Movies are solely for entertainment purposes and have nothing to do with the living or dead. They are fictional and it’s all a part of the five-second “DISCLAIMER” we are shown before the movie. People don’t read that. Hell, there were so many shots of cigarette smoking in the film.

I understand that people will try to contradict my opinion with questions like “Did you start riding two bikes at a time with one leg on each after watching Rohit Shetty’s films?”. Or statements like “It’s just a movie, how do you have so much time to waste an opinion on Bollywood?“. This is not just a movie, it’s the future our society might have. Visual learning is the most impactful learning and I want to stand by the critics, and hang on to every word of criticism because I’m concerned about what this society will derive out of the movie.

More from Sunidhi Malla

By Vanshika Gadekar

By Yusuf Abidin

By Ranjeet Menon