The Punjab Cancer Crisis

Recently, I was asked a question about cancer while writing my science exam. This question revealed a shocking fact about modern civilization. There is a village near Bhatinda, in Punjab, wherein a lot of people have been diagnosed with the degenerative disease. If you get a chance to visit the state, you will surely realize that it is the kingdom of misery.

There are many reasons responsible for this unfortunate situation. The first happens to be the highly irresponsible attitude of the people running chemical factories in and around the area. These very factories have turned this village into a living hell. Toxic waste is dumped underground using the reverse-boring technique. This makes groundwater unfit for use.

Child cancer patients. Photo by Bhaskar Paul/The The India Today Group via Getty Images.

Now, we have to be clear that such problems have arisen because of man’s greed and selfishness.

Farmers in Punjab use pesticides quite frequently, and the excessive use of chemicals is another major reason behind the contamination of natural resources such as water. Mother nature needs to be protected, but human beings are making a mess of it. The situation keeps getting worse with each passing day.

The media has no time to cover such issues because the world we live in is preoccupied with celebrity weddings. So let us become individually responsible for the situation we have got ourselves into.

Featured Image source: Getty Images. For representation only.