Religion, Politics And State: A ‘Right’ Analysis

It’s been more than five years of communal tension, state-sponsored violence against a particular community and increasing toxic majoritarianism. Also, Mr Modi completed five golden years with immense love and support, and back in power again with a Herculean victory. Honestly, I was a bit shocked—not because of the communal violence but the colossal victory of this hate-mongering political party. But then I ingrained in my mind that it’s all an expanded process from the fake excavations at Hastinapur, Kurukshetra and Ayodhya, the demolition of the Babri Masjid in 1992, to the Gujarat riots in 2002. It’s all a business the BJP is running. It’s a Hindutva agenda, and the BJP supporters are fuelling this business by intensifying the divisiveness between the two communities, created by the hardliners. No doubt, this is a time of hardship for many of us who believe in equitability, substantive equality, freedom of conduct and most importantly, in free speech.

Image via Getty

Not only in India but all over the world, be it Trump’s USA, Imran Khan’s Pakistan, Netanyahu’s Israel, Bolsonaro’s Brazil etc., the ideology of right is at its height, getting ample acceptance everywhere. The right-wing supports the concept of capitalism, which is far more important to some than roti, kapda, makaan and sukoon. That’s why so many people believe that this ideology is apt, for instance, scholars like Lord Acton and De Tocqueville induced in the minds of people that liberty and equality are antagonistic and antithetical to each other.

So for that unscrupulous stock, economic liberty is more important than equality and economic justice. They are anti-egalitarianism and relentlessly believe in competition, strife and war. With economic liberty, right-wingers also emphasise tradition, which legitimises the very idea of social hierarchy and the oppression of commonality. The right-wing supporters or can I say, the ‘bloodsucking scroungers’ endorse this foul ideology, just to subjugate the oppressed and to never let them grow out of their perpetual state of deprivation.

And these so-called traditional people validate all these mishaps around in the name of religion. According to these religious nerds, everything is destined and not in one’s control. If you are born as a low caste or a Dalit, then it must be because of your sins in a previous life. Accept that! Caste and class for most of the people go hand in hand, i.e. if you are low caste, you are likely to be poor. In other words, religion sanctified economic inequality.

Because of the reasons mentioned above, Karl Marx rejected religion and tried to convince us that religion is a man-made product and does not have any divine origin. According to him, “religion is nothing but the opium of masses”. I believe that the economy and religion are interconnected. It paralyses us and makes us incapable of revolting against injustice and every time; we end up saying “sab Allah/Bhagwaan ke haath mein hai.”

There are other scholars as well who tried to explain the true essence of religion, but according to me, there are always some two-dimensional forces working behind a scholarly mind. A scholar is also human with his own perspective, which is affected by circumstances and environment, which makes him either believe or disbelieve in religion. Even scholars are not free of bias; some of them present the veracity of religion, while others define religion as nothing more than a fabrication.

Political scientists like Herbert Spencer linked religion with dead ancestors or ghosts, Max Mueller with naturism, Durkheim with totemism. In totemism, totems are the random objects which are considered sacred by the primitive clans. Each clan has its own totem. The totem in itself is not anything powerful or divine, but people in primitive society believed it to be. You can trace the influence of totemism into the present day, in amulets in Islam and statues of various deities in Hinduism.

Some linked religion with magic as well, according to them, it was magic that came into existence first, and then religion replaced magic. Then it was science’s turn to replace religion, and we cannot imagine even in our wildest dreams what will replace science now!

Don’t think too much and recite with me (only if you are a practicing Muslim), “Astagfirullaha rabbi min kulli zambiyun wa atubu illeh.” (I ask forgiveness of my sins from Allah who is my Lord and I turn towards Him.)

In case you don’t understand why I recited this: Beware of fatwa inflicting perjurers! 😛

Do you find online payments safe?

Take this survey and help companies and the government make online payments safer for you.

Take the Survey