This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Rhythm Sachdeva. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Assam And Bihar Floods: Here’s How We Can lend A Helping Hand

More from Rhythm Sachdeva

Image Credit: AP

When nature shows its wrath, no one is spared. Floods in India have become an annual phenomenon, displacing millions in the country every year. Recent floods in Assam and Bihar have made many homeless. Reports state that more than 1.17 crore people have been affected by the calamity, around 123 people have lost their lives in Bihar and 75 in Assam.

According to the Assam State Disaster Management (ASDMA), 34,92,734 people in 2,753 villages in 18 districts have been affected. In Bihar, 82.12 lakh people under 1,241 panchayats of 106 blocks in the 13 districts have been affected, says the Bihar Disaster Management Department. Millions of lives are at stake, the need is huge and urgent. Extend a helping hand because every penny counts.

Extend a helping hand with GiveIndia’s NGO partners

Goonj is reaching out to the affected communities of Bihar and Assam. Truckloads of flood relief kits are being dispatched daily from its centers across India. It has intensified its efforts to collect old and new material from the urban spaces. For the people in need, uncountable material including dry ration, toiletries, tarpaulins, sanitary napkins, utensils, umbrellas, etc. are being sent. 

Reaching out to the people in the flood-affected areas takes days and multiple attempts to transport aid at times. That is why, along with the material, money matters! Make sure that the required material reaches the people who urgently need it. Support Goonj’s effort monetarily and donate now for Assam flood survivors! 

Goonj has been involved in providing help in disaster-affected areas for more than a decade now and knows how to utilise timely donations for people’s needs. With a systemic approach from relief to rehabilitation efforts, it has worked extensively during the Chamoli earthquake (1999) in the aftermath of the tsunami in 2004, the Kosi floods in 2008, across Uttarakhand, Jammu and Kashmir, during the Hud Hud Cyclone in Odisha , the floods in Chennai and Andhra and in annual floods in 9 states last year.

Rapid Response is another NGO on the ground, saving the lives of the Assam floods survivors in the two of the most affected districts Morigaon and Chirang, both inhabited by tribals who are in immediate need of help.

It is reaching out to the survivors with flood relief material including food, drinking water, and medical assistance. Help them save lives by donating for the Assam and Bihar flood survivors towards any of the following categories:

• Rs. 1,000 for food packets/meals for 25 people
  • Rs. 5,000 for dry ration for 5 families 
  • Rs. 10,000 for bed kit for 10 families 
  • Rs. 15,000 for shelter kit for 1 family 
  • Rs. 20,000 for education kit for 20 children 
  • Rs. 25,000 for free medical camp in 1 Village 
  • Rs. 50,000 for livelihood support for 5 families 

Rapid Response is an award-winning organization, providing disaster relief and rehabilitation services across India. It has been actively working for communities affected in Assam floods every year since 2015. They have helped people rebuild their lives by providing immediate support. Their most recent interventions in Jammu and Kashmir, Tamil Nadu, and Assam have impacted thousands of lives.

Featured Image Credit: Getty Images

More from Rhythm Sachdeva

By Tarun

By Jaisika Kushwaha

By Meghali Saikia