Does Congress Have A Future In India’s Current Political Climate?

Indian National Congress (INC), which has a history of 100 years in Indian politics, now seems to be headed towards its destruction. Its former chief Rahul Gandhi has declared himself unfit for the respective post.

In the general elections of 2019, INC faced the worst defeat in their political career by securing seats less than the required number to be an opposition party. Rahul Gandhi faced the worst defeat in one of his contested seats home ground Amethi. Congress party has never been victorious under the leadership of Rahul Gandhi. There are many reasons behind his defeat.

The main reason for the party’s defeat is the lack of coordination between the party members. For example, in every state Congress was contesting; they had a cadre consisting of both senior and young politicians. Congress failed mainly because they didn’t have leaders who had a good understanding with the youth. Also, the party’s young leaders were sidelined by seniors.

Next is their inability to be a strong opposition in the parliament. During crucial events, when the parliamentary meetings/debates expected a strong stance from them, they failed. Instead, they protested decisions taken by the ruling party, which were beneficial to the public, making people lose their faith in them.

For instance, consider the case of Karnataka assembly, H.D. Kumaraswamy (JDS)-led government was formed in 2018 by an alliance with Congress party led by Siddharamaiah in the state. However, since the formation of the government, many Congress leaders felt unhappy because they didn’t get respectable posts even when they won as MLAs. Siddharamaiah asked those members to resign from their positions, and so they did. None of the Congress leaders asked them to withdraw their resignations. This made the government in the state collapse suddenly.

With the party’s decision to appoint Sonia Gandhi as President, it seems that the party will always remain under the Gandhi family. What Congress party should have done instead was to give the reigns to young  leaders such as Sachin Pilot, Jyotiraditya Scindia etc.

Do you find online payments safe?

Take this survey and help companies and the government make online payments safer for you.

Take the Survey