This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Khushboo. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Article 370: Was It Fair To Shut Down The Stakeholders?

More from Khushboo

“I’m crying, and that’s it. Even all the Kashmiri girls in the hostel are crying. That’s totally not fair. Plus we have no communication with our families, which is devastating. We all are sad”, said Urooj, a Kashmiri girl living in Delhi to pursue her studies.

“As I am going to sleep now, it feels like I might die of a heart attack, don’t know whether I will wake up tomorrow morning or not. Kindly say salam to my mom, she will be eagerly waiting for me, she might be dying with every breath, tell her we will meet again Inshallah”, said Mir Faizan, a Kashmiri student in Bengaluru.

This is how some of the Kashmiri students reacted to the scrapping of Article 370. Right now, all they want is to contact their parents, as they are away from home and have no clue regarding the situation of their families in the valley. Some booked their tickets to meet their family in the valley, and those who could not go back in these tense situations, are praying for peace and betterment.
Protest against the scrapping of Article 370 of the Constitution and the proposed bifurcation of the state of Jammu and Kashmir, at Jantar Mantar on August 5, 2019 in New Delhi. (Photo by Amal KS/Hindustan Times via Getty Images)

Clueless Assumptions And Hysteria Of Terror Attack

Whatever happened in the parliament on August 5, 2019, is not hidden from anybody’s eyes. Amarnath Yatra was stopped citing possibilities of terror attacks by suicide bombers of Pakistan. An army of 35,000 additional soldiers was sent to Kashmir, and all the tourists and Amarnath pilgrims were asked to vacate the valley as soon as possible. All this was done in the name of security. BTW! If terror attack could take place, locals, too, were in danger, but the government has not answered any questions.
On August 4, 2019, internet and mobile services were shut, and a curfew was imposed across Jammu and Kashmir, and mainstream political leaders were put under house arrest. Indian media was as clueless as Chinese media used to be on the actions of its communist government. But, most of the journalists started to assume that something big was going to happen in the Kashmir Valley, and definitely, it’s something good. All assumptions and no clues at all.

And… The Day Of Decision Came Without The Consent Of Its Stakeholders

On August 5, 2019, the day when Home Minister of India Mr Amit Shah was supposed to clarify the government’s motive behind these developments, he tabled a bill to revoke Article 370, which gives a special status to the people of Jammu and Kashmir. It was through a presidential order, and according to the law, consent of state was also important. But, right now, there is a Governor’s rule in the state. So, Governor Satya Pal Malik’s consent was taken as the consent of the people of Jammu and Kashmir, and Article 370 was successfully revoked. They kept the people of Jammu and Kashmir in the dark and curtailed all their services.

Why It Is Unfair

Jammu and Kashmir is not the only state which has a special status; there are 10 more states like Assam, Nagaland, Himachal Pradesh, etc., with special status. But most of the time we only see people mocking Kashmiris by saying, “Can somebody tell me the rates of land near Jhelum? I will buy land when 370 will be scrapped.” Well, I wonder why they don’t consider these other 10 states as beautiful places to live too?
Home Minister Amit Shah. Image PTI

Parliament decided without the consent of stakeholders: the mainstream politicians and common Kashmiris. They didn’t bother about their views and decided the future of this so-called paradise. Just the “yes” from the governor was enough to be seen as the agreement of all Kashmiris. It seemed more like your parents made a decision about your marriage without even asking your consent on whether you want to get married or not and locked you inside a room till you are married off. Will you celebrate that forceful marriage? Or will you start loving your parents even more than ever?

The largest democracy in the world does not care about the people of Jammu and Kashmir. Nobody cares that they are locked in their homes, can’t communicate with their loved ones, are living outside the state, and every kind of service has been shut. How long will it go? Either today or tomorrow, the curfew has to be lifted, and definitely, protests will erupt. What solution would be left? Well, the answer is clear, as we can see, the number of army personnel deployed there, it could result in bloodshed.

Support From Unexpected Areas!

Delhi CM Mr Arvind Kejriwal’s stance on the matter is a huge shock. He has extended his support to the central government, despite knowing the fact that, Jammu and Kashmir will be a union territory with legislature just like Delhi. And who is unaware of conflicts between Delhi’s AAP government and the Governor plus the central government on his demand of full statehood to Delhi?

BSP Supremo Mayawati, who never leaves a chance to criticize the government, also stood by this decision.

All gave their opinion, celebrated the moment, but nobody went to ask the views of local Kashmiris on this. They are living under curfew with no connection with the rest of the world!

Rich In Resources, Why Forget Chipko?

While everyone says that it is fine to take away all the special rights from Jammu and Kashmir just because it would have been impossible for people of other states to own a property there, one should not forget that states like Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand have the same status when it comes to giving ownership to outside residents. We Indians, proudly recall the history of “Chipko Movement“, meant to secure the resources of mountains from brutal capitalism. But here, everybody is overlooking the “hyper-nationalism”, and people across India are celebrating scrapping of Article 370, except, of course, Jammu and Kashmir—the ones who will be affected due to this change. I don’t think they will be ready to accept it at any stage.

What Does Your Support Mean To Them?

Well, when somebody is in pain, your healing touch gives them the power to bear any situation, and right now, Kashmiri people need that healing touch, not your “hyper-nationalistic” thoughts! If we want them to come along with us, then we need to be with them. But, posts on social media are reverse. Talks related to marriage in Kashmir or owning land seem to be the only motives. They all are forgetting that when Mr Amit Shah proposed this bill in Rajya Sabha, the purpose was the removal of terrorism from the valley, not making creepy jokes at the expense of Kashmiris!

1. Aniruddh Shrivastava

Hurriyat was also a stakeholder. Should we take their opinion?
    Can we imagine Mufti agreeing to abrogation of Article 370?
    Its not a direct democracy where we take opinion of every individual into consideration.

More from Khushboo

By Umer Wani

By Amar Saeed

By Umer Wani