Freelancing Paves A Way For Indian Women Seeking Freedom

“An empowered woman is powerful beyond measure and beautiful beyond description, as she is the one who cannot be tamed.”

The article contains stories of those women who found their way through misogyny and deprivation of freedom through working from home, and how they actually used their wings and soared high!

Every morning I sit down with my morning cup of tea along with the day’s newspaper, to start my day on a fresh note. But every day, after my morning routine, I am often left dismal. While the newspaper brings along some of my favourite sections like sudoku and word scrabble, it also brings with it some of the most heart- wrenching stories.

One of the very recent such instances was when an article, appropriately titled ‘Only if she could have told the truth, but her words remained unspoken’, was highlighted on the front page of the newspaper. The article narrated an agonizing story of a young pregnant woman, who was burnt alive for not providing enough dowry.

But that is just one such case that came into the eyes of the public; there exists a rather significant number of cases behind the curtains. The question that now pertains is, when will we be able to add a full stop and bring an end to these traumatising stories?

Every third woman, since the age of 15, has faced domestic violence of various forms in the country, reported the National Family Health Survey (NFHS-4) released by the Union Health Ministry.

With the rising trend of crime against women in India, there is a dire need for the empowerment of women. When it comes to domestic violence or any kind of abuse against a woman, the repercussions of the same are not only physical but have a rather significant impact on the mental health of the survivor. Women who go through such trauma often try to hide it and often refrain from standing up for themselves. One of the major factors that contribute to this is the financial dependency of the female on her husband. They are terrified of the thought of being left alone, with no financial support.

Financial independence is paramount. My mom always says that when a woman is financially independent, she has the ability to live life on her own terms” – Priyanka Chopra

Life is uncertain, you never know when the tables can turn. In a woman’s life, types of ordeals can be innumerable. Women need to understand that financial independence is indispensable. In such a scenario, there is a dire need for a platform that can help women become financially independent. One such platform is remote working, which has opened a gateway for people to maintain a healthy work-life balance.

Not only is remote-working helping women who go through such predicaments but is also proving to be a solution to the dilemma of choosing between work and children for many mothers. Some are beginning to realise that freelancing liberates them from salaried, careerist impediments that most women face. For instance, freelancing is helping them return to the workforce where there is a necessity to have a flexible work schedule.

Earlier, when working remotely was not as common, women often left their jobs to attend to their homely duties. But now, with a great amount of technological growth and rise in the remote working population, women can work from the comfort of their homes. Thus, they do not have to give up on their careers to take care of their household duties.

Erica, a successful virtual assistant working at Growup Technologies shares her story, and how working from home fits in her life like a jigsaw puzzle piece, “I am divorced with two small boys. I also am working on completing a bachelor’s in computer science. Working from home complements my life completely.”This is just one such inspirational case; there are a lot of women who have now shifted or taken up remote working, and it is helping them attain financial independence.

The bitter truth here is that we live in a patriarchal and misogynistic society. But with platforms l that give the option of working from home, (will discuss). Growup acts as an intermediary between the employees in search of remote jobs, and employers in search of virtual assistants, and helps in empowering women by providing them with the platform of remote working, and by connecting them to reliable and reputed employers. 

If you are someone who has given up her high-paid job and is willing to work full-time but from your abode, then you can try your hands on becoming a freelancer.

Featured Image for representative purpose only.