This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Prabhat Misra. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Thousands Of Students Will Support Global Climate Strike Through The Red Tape Movement

More from Prabhat Misra

The earth is under the grip of Climate Change, which in turn is the result of increasing levels of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases [GHGs] due to deforestation, urbanization, industrialization, pollution and increasing human population. Melting of polar ice, oceanic acidification, increasing global temperature, flood, drought, increasing sea level and depleting biodiversity are important impacts of “Climate Change.” The growing intensity of wildfires and their spread to new corners of the globe raises fears that climate change is exacerbating the dangers.

Anthropogenic activities are raising the level of CO2 by about 2 parts per million a year, in the atmosphere. So, we must develop a better and natural “GHG Sink system” to achieve 350 ppm CO2 level in the atmosphere. Trees are “Best Natural Sinks” of CO2 on land and will be helpful to tackle Climate Change.

The Red Tape Movement was started by me when I was posted as District Savings Officer of District Etawah (Uttar Pradesh, India), on 5th June 2008, to save trees and biodiversity. Under this movement, especially on a holiday, we choose a village and go to this village and do plantation and then tie red tapes on existing trees trunks, with the help of villagers and there, we give them the message that to cut the trees is lethal for our future and generations to come. Since 2008, we have tied red tapes on thousands of trees and made grassroots people aware of Climate Change and the importance of the conservation of nature.

Red Tape Movement in Himalayan Province ‘Uttarakhand’.

Red Tape Movement was a Global Partner of ‘Rise For Climate’ global event and organised the event in more than 350 basic education department rural schools through ‘Teachers Club Uttar Pradesh’ & ‘Mission Shikshan Samvad Uttar Pradesh’; about 10,000 students and their teachers participated on September 08, 2018. Gen. Secretary of ‘Teachers Club Uttar Pradesh’ Mr Avanindra Jadaun, a teacher in the Junior High School ( District Etawah) lead the event along with Mr Vimal Kumar, Teacher in Junior High School (District Kanpur Dehat).

On that day, rural schools throughout ‘Uttar Pradesh’ province of India, dis plantation, awareness for students and villagers about environment conservation and Climate Change; students tied red tapes on existing trees trunks and took the ‘Oath To Save’ Trees and Biodiversity and to live an Environment-Friendly life.

This year, the ‘Red Tape Movement’ is running the ‘Saplings To Trees‘ awareness drive in basic schools of Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand provinces of India. ‘Care After Plantation’ is very important because, after plantation, people rarely visit to see the status of the plants, planted by them and saplings die.

Trees give us life; it’s our duty to look after them as our family members. ‘Saplings To Trees’ drive will encourage grassroot people to care for saplings in attaining the size of young trees. About 50,000 teachers and 500,000 students are expected to participate between August 14 to October 02, 2019. Mission Shikshan Samvad & Teachers Club Uttar Pradesh are the main organisers of this drive, which is running successfully in schools.

Red Tape Movement in Uttar Pradesh

The Red Tape Movement follows and supports Greta Thunberg and will participate in the ‘Climate Strike‘ on September 26, 2019 in Districts of Azamgarh Division (Uttar Pradesh) where students and teachers, after school time, will organise ‘Oath To Save Nature’ and create awareness amongst villagers to save and protect saplings of plantation till these become young trees. Students and teachers will tie red tapes on trees trunks and will take an oath to save trees and biodiversity for a better future.

We are at a tipping point. We need efforts from grassroots level people to step up and do everything they can do right now to reduce dependence upon the fossil fuel energy and build 100% renewable energy for all, to Change Climate Change.

Now, we can’t live with energy from fossil fuels. 21st Century is the ‘Century Of Climate Change’ and it’s time to repower our communities with clean and renewable energy so that we can make the 21st Century, the ‘Century Of Renewable Energy. Anything less than this is out of line with what science and justice demand. If we are united, we can save the earth from Climate Change through such peoples’ participatory grass-root movements, for our future generations to come.

Created by Prabhat Misra

Will you support & participate in 'Global Climate Strike' for a livable Earth?

More from Prabhat Misra

By SUCHETA CHAURASIA

By Khanjan Ravani

By PRASANTA PATRI