How Things Will Change For Kashmir Post Article 370

Image via Getty

The BJP, fulfilling its manifesto promise, has removed Article 370 in Jammu and Kashmir. A reorganisation bill has also been passed in the Rajya Sabha.

Home Minister Amit Shah introduced the bill to repeal Article 370 and restructure the state in the Lok Sabha; it was passed by 370 votes against 70 after a heated debate. The bill was passed in the Rajya Sabha later.

What is Article 370?

1. According to the provisions of Article 370, the Parliament only had the right to make laws regarding Jammu and Kashmir with respect to foreign affairs, defence and communication.

2. The citizens of Jammu and Kashmir have dual citizenship.

3. Kashmir has a separate national flag.

4. It is not compulsory for Kashmiris to honor India’s national flag.

5. Article 35A prohibits Indian citizens from purchasing land in Jammu and Kashmir.

6. Article 360 ​​of the Constitution, under which there is a provision for imposing financial emergency in the country does not apply to Jammu and Kashmir.

7. The term of the Legislative Assembly of Jammu and Kashmir was six years, while the legislatures of other states have a term of five years.

8. Indian Penal Code was not applicable in J&K.

9. If a woman from Jammu and Kashmir marries a person from any other state of India, the woman will lose her property rights. On the contrary, if she marries a person from Pakistan, he too will get citizenship of Jammu and Kashmir.

10. Due to Section 370, RTI, RTE and CAG are not applicable in Kashmir.

11. Sharia law is applicable to women in Kashmir.

12. Panchayats have no rights in Kashmir.

13. Due to Article 370, Pakistanis living in Kashmir also get Indian citizenship.

What Changed After The Removal Of Article 370 In Jammu And Kashmir?

1. Now any Indian citizen can buy property in Jammu and Kashmir.

2. Jammu and Kashmir will no longer have a separate flag.

3. The post of Governor will end. Along with this, the police of the state will remain under the jurisdiction of the center.

4. Jammu and Kashmir will now be a Union Territory.

5. Jammu and Kashmir will no longer have dual citizenship.

6. Every law will be applicable in the state just like the rest of the country

7. After the removal of Article 370, the exclusive rights granted to Jammu and Kashmir are completely abolished. There will be no separate constitution in Kashmir.

8. RTI and CAG laws are now applicable in Jammu and Kashmir.

9. Non-Kashmiris can avail government jobs.

11. Article 360 ​​of the Indian Constitution is now applicable in Jammu and Kashmir.

12. Now the woman of Kashmir will get the right to property even if she marries a non-resident.

13. Ladakh, which was a part of Jammu Kashmir, will be a separate Union Territory without state legislature. Its administration will be run like Chandigarh.

Why People Are Protesting Against The Abrogation Of Article 370

There is opposition to the removal of Article 370 in Kashmir because they are afraid that the people from the rest of India will get the right to buy property in Jammu and Kashmir, and they will be entitled to government jobs and other aid. They are afraid of the change in demography.

The protest is also emerging due to the vested political interests of the few who wanted to make Kashmir a separate country. I don’t think the common public in Kashmir will have any objection to this move.

Meanwhile, a fake message is going viral on social media. It says,

“Book your land at Kashmir Laal Chowk Rd from 11.25 lakh starting with GST. KASHMIR 370 removed. Limited stock! For more details, call on 9*********.” According to HuffPost, the number given in the message is from a real estate company in West Bengal.