Bengaluru’s Youth Council Fellowship Is Nurturing A Wave Of Change-Makers!

There are 8 billion global citizens under 30 years of age. India houses 700 million such diverse youngsters, who possess a distinctive ability to frame issues differently, and to call attention to matters of importance that may otherwise be overlooked or underestimated. Listening to young people about issues that matter to them needs to be an important commitment of our government and elected representatives.

There are a growing number of young change-makers dedicating themselves to community service and involvement in public policy at a micro-level, especially in India. However, there continues to be immense potential among them waiting to be nurtured into constructive leaders who could lead social endeavors for positively impacting local communities. The Youth Council Fellowship is one mechanism to create a dedicated and self-sustaining community of young change-makers (Youth Councils), who would work along with parliamentary representatives and leaders from all walks of life.

Such constituency-specific Youth Council Fellowships will comprise of community-minded rising stars under the age of 35 from diverse backgrounds (including student leaders, young social activists, young professionals) who work with communities to create transformational changes and address some of the constituency’s most pressing problems. Chaired by the parliamentary representatives (Members of Parliament), the Youth Council will build a growing network of innovative and ethical change-makers who will inspire a wave of social innovations in the constituency, along with their Members of Parliament.

The Youth Council would focus on using data and evidence to design and implement micro-level impact projects that address pressing development and social challenges in the constituency. This will include identifying best practices in social impact, implementing and scaling them through partnerships and community action. For example, the problems of healthcare, education, urban mobility and waste management are very relevant issues for any urban constituency, and these have to tackled at the grassroots level, inculcated as a norm in the society, rather than as a one-time project.

The Youth Council shall lift up prospective civic innovators who are not currently connected to the networks and resources they need to advance their work. Fellows shall participate in multi-day gatherings where they collaborate with each other, work in proximity with the Member of Parliament and other key stakeholders and they’re poised to use the fellowship to significantly advance their work and welfare of local communities, to establish models to solve important public problems in creative and meaningful ways.

The first such Youth Council is being established in Bengaluru, under the Member of Parliament for South Bangalore, Mr Tejasvi Surya! So all enthusiastic Bangaloreans, are you passionate and committed to advancing the common good in your community? Do you have a demonstrated potential for impact? Are you committed to leading with integrity and making values-based decisions? This program might be for you!

We encourage individuals from all backgrounds to apply for this prestigious opportunity. You’ll be able to walk out the door with fundamental knowledge and skills about community organizing, equity-centered leadership and a role to play in shaping our city of Bengaluru.

Please contact us on youthcouncilbengaluru@gmail.com for more details.

Click here to apply. 

Featured image for representative purpose only.
Featured image source: Kyle Taylor/Flickr.