IIM Lucknow: Akhilesh Yadav Vs. The Yogi Government

Why did UP’s ex-chief minister Akhilesh Yadav take a dig at the state ministers obtaining training at the prestigious management institute at Lucknow? Had he made this criticism merely to criticise the state government or he thought it fit to take advantage of the opportunity? Whatever we may think of his mental competency in this regard, he played the role of opposing the Yogi government in a democratic way.

He also knows about the repercussions of his actions in the time to come but he perhaps could not habitually miss the chance. His straightforward reaction on the UP ministers’ refresher course at IIM Lucknow has not come from the diffidence. It appeared that the influence of adult education spurred the need for providing a short course to the ministers so that they could remain acquainted with the skills, methods and processes required to improve their performance. Somewhere, this special idea stands near the phrase “better late than never.”

Attributed to the father of English literature, Chaucer, it was first seen in the year 1386 in The Yeoman’s Tale, which later found a place in Canterbury Tales: “for better than never is late; never to succeed would be too long a period.” This has developed as a much-used idiom in the English language. At present, an oft-repeated phrase “better late than never” is a very common expression in our everyday conversation. It aptly means if something was done later than expected or there was a delay, it is better done late than not being done at all.

When adult education started in the year 1978, this idea floated for linking literacy with adults. Even the present 3-year-action agenda amply throws light on adult education in a prominent way. Supposedly taking inspiration from the adult education programme, the UP government has recently decided to enlighten its quite matured and aged ministers with improved quality skills in the different fields of finance, business and economy at IIM Lucknow. This weekly refresher course has been running and providing specialised knowledge to them.

A billion dollar question arises: why had ex-CM Akhilesh Yadav not pondered over such an impressive and practical idea? Having not taxed his mind in the past years, he has trodden on the path to condemn and criticise the good endeavour of the state government. Instead, he left no chance of flaying the idea mooted by the present state government. This is exclusively for the ministers and initiated as a well-prepared training programme.

He even went on to say that the people in the government were going to the eminent management institute during the remaining half of their tenure. Had they undergone a week-long course earlier, the two-and-a-half-years of state governance would have passed off well. It cannot be accepted as wholly satisfactory criticism.

If the ministers are ready to learn or grasp every complex point, let them be trained appropriately. The more they acquire knowledge the more they find discover the formulas for economic prosperity. That was the first and last thing for which our state ministers were trained. However, this programme was designed to focus on a direction that could make them emerge as efficient in learning the essential fiscal intricacies.