This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Mansi Mittal. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Can Laws Alone Prevent Rapes In India?

More from Mansi Mittal

“Abaa I am your daughter, please, please abaa!”

In the dark corner of the house when taken advantage of my innocence, when taken advantage of being a girl, when my own people touched me, molested me, showed me their manly powers—I was only six. That day I realized the real face of the devil in the form of a man; my ammi used to tell me the stories of great humans who fought with devils and protected us.

I now realize that the biggest danger is not the devils outside but inside. History of rape is also the same. Times when Devadasis”the servant of God” were seen as the musicians and dancers serving God, but that pattern changed and men exploited them and used them as tools to satisfy their sexual desires. Men are the most powerful creatures, but they are the most inhuman ones too. Is this what we are going to pass on to our upcoming generations? Men raping and disrespecting women? We worship goddesses Laxmi, Kali, Saraswati, but we don’t respect our women!

Rape cases in India have increased tremendously since 2012. Over the last five years, there is an immense increase of 277% from 572 in 2011 to 2,155 in 2016. According to the survey conducted by Thomas Reuters Foundation, India is ranked on No. 1 in terms of the most dangerous country in the world for women because of sexual violence. Even Syria and Afghanistan were placed second and third.

Is India just capable of holding the first rank in such scenarios? Nowadays, news related to rape has become a commonplace occurrence. A woman is raped every 30 minutes in India. The headlines every day are quite similar: Girl Raped, Infant Raped, Woman Raped, and so on.

So what’s the reason behind these rapes? Is it the clothes we wear or the time we return home?

What is the fault of a newborn, is it because they are born without clothes or just because they are born girls? I was going through my Facebook when I read an article stating that a family member had raped an 8-month-old baby girl, she was a newborn child who was unaware of the harsh realities of this cruel world where her own family ripped her tiny soul. In Delhi’s December 16 rape case, the law should have given grating punishments to the rapists, but it took almost five years for her to get justice.

Is There A Way To Prevent It?

Rapes need to be stopped not by just implying rules and regulations but by punishing the culprits in no time and rewarding them with stringent punishments—so that nobody dares to commit such crimes again. The system needs to create fear among men of the consequences such acts will lead to if they try to commit such inhuman activities.

Boys should be treated just like the girls, and families should teach them everything they teach their girls like to respect everyone, to cook, to behave etc.

Stopping rape incidents in our country is not an easy job, but we can certainly be aware of some of the basic stuff to protect one from getting raped.

Rapes can be stopped only if women are considered as humans, not objects that can be used to fulfil sexual desires. It can be done by providing sex education to children without any hesitation. Rather than blaming a woman’s clothing, her way of talking and taking it as a sign to rip her clothes, let’s change the way we look at her and stop considering her as a piece of equipment for our desire.

Rapes can’t be stopped just by protests and agitations; it can only happen when we start considering women and girls as humans.

1. vishwas mishra

I agree with every point you make
    The mentality needs to be changed to stop these horrific crimes it’s high time people of India realise that
    Just disgusting how unsafe it is for a women to roam around freely in india

2. Akshay R.C.

After the recent case in UP I feel disgusted that such brutal rapes are still happening. I came in line to read articles and surveys and came across your article. India is not even 1st when it comes to rape compared to Africa or USA. Yes rape is increasing but India still a better place than Afghanistan where a woman can at least have voice if the police don’t support and the police not supporting victim are far less that police supporting the victim. Only 2% of rape charges conclude as false case, but police assume that number to be higher. I request you to read this article: https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/rape-statistics-by-country
    I request you to read this article to know that rape problem of India is similar to British and USA, only a quarter of rape cases actually get reported in these countries: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.economist.com/leaders/2020/01/02/how-to-reduce-rape Even this UN article https://www.unwomen.org/en/news/stories/2019/11/compilation-ways-you-can-stand-against-rape-culture gives productive criticism and solutions compared to your opinionated rant. “India is unsafe for women” is UK’s propaganda to prevent any investment coming from developed countries and to ridicule India globally, you may not believe but the British media still runs an anti-India campaign and there some racist people in the world who consume UK’s propaganda machine. I hope you open your eyes and see that India, your India, our India is not the worst. Lastly I recommend watching India In Details and The String YouTube channels.

More from Mansi Mittal

By Drishti Agrawal

By Azaz Ahmad

By Tuba Afreen