Carbon Emissions, Whether By Air Crafts Or Google Search, Need To Be Curbed

WhyOnEarth logo mobEditor’s Note: Are you bothered by the drastic changes in our climate, causing extreme weather events and calamities such as the Kerala Floods? #WhyOnEarth aims to take the truth to the people with stories, experiences, opinions and revelations about the climate change reality that you should know, and act on. Have a story to share? Click here and publish.

Taking care of the climate is the most basic responsibility that should be taken up by everybody today. Mere lip service does not lend any sort of benefit in this particular field. At present, glaciers are melting, trees are not getting their due value, artificial objects are left on the moon, there’s absence of cleanliness and pure drinking water and above all, no clean air to breathe. We have been only damaging our environment instead of insulating a soft heart in the preservation of the requisites for stopping climate change. 

A graphic representation of global warming. Source: Pixabay

It has been estimated that making two internet searches on Google produces about the same amount of carbon dioxide as boiling a kettle. A typical search through the online giant’s website supposedly generates about 7gm of carbon dioxide whereas boiling a kettle produces about 15gm of the gas. This conclusion must have been based on a thorough study and calculation.   

A layman can’t argue over it but researchers would definitely disagree with a lot on this veritable finding. They could still all be efficiently capable of the basic recognition of the prevalent fact that a few cannot afford to risk agreeing with the level of CO2 measurement. Putting it simply, scientists must protect the quantity of the dangerous gas emission due to a Google search with precision, available techniques, and a thoughtful strategy.

The Google search engine emissions are a result of regular activity, but what has lately drawn people’s attention to a larger degree were two empty flights carrying the young royals to the Scottish city of Balmore, which resulted in 4.5 tons of extra carbon emissions into the air.

Prince William and Kate Middleton had taken a budget flight while travelling to the aged Queen’s summer residence of Balmoral Castle to see Her Majesty and Prince Philip a week ago. This flight was in stark contrast to ‘four gas-guzzling private jets’ used by Prince Harry and Meghan Markle in eleven days. They took multiple flights on a private jet to Ibiza and Nice, France. 

So, the pertinent issue in the case was that the royal couple used private jet despite regularly showing their concern for the environment. Prince William was, however, unaware of the Flybe company’s bosses’ decision to fly its franchise Loganair aircraft empty from Norwich in northern England to Aberdeen on Scotland’s east coast. It was the Flybe bosses who decided to fly an aircraft with their company’s branding. An Embraer 145 was used to collect the royals from Eastern Airways Humbetside headquarters. The royals were not boarding the usual aircraft which flies regularly on the air route thereby resulting in the creation of an additional 4.5 tons of carbon dioxide into the atmospheric air. 

Just as the Google search was continuously carried out by all net-savvy people, the claims on the part of the British royals look more like a lip service on their environment-friendly approach. That very thin deviation on their part was taken as a mockery of their attempts to take care of the climate. They should be considered better if they showed less hypocrisy with their actions.