What Do The Recent Assembly Elections Tell Us About The Indian Voter?

It is a substantial way to comprehend the common people’s mood through their votes. It quietly clears whom they have accepted and whom they truly dismissed. The recently held assembly elections indicated at what appeared like an inflection point in the ruling party’s political graph that was why other political parties improved its political position emphatically.

Is there not a modification in the election results? It somehow forces political leaders to select their challenges on the political plane. After all, strength lies in numbers but adjustment requires a safe and prudent move.

While it is certainly true that the politicians have ultimately decided something remarkable and the Haryana state government is actually formed keeping in mind deputy chief minister Dushyant Chautala, scion of Devi Lal. He seems to be ready to take forward his great grandfather’s legacy. This Jat leader made a deal with the BJP and formed the new government. The US-educated politician has emerged as a leader of some estimation.

Verily, everyone was trusting this sort of strong concept and happier politicians of both political parties were now considering that they may not be wholly misled because they, in fact, finally carry victory.

In the state of Maharashtra, the BJP leadership feels a bit unnerved before the assertive Uddhav Thackeray who wants nothing less than fifty-fifty. Such is the power of votes that brings the ruling party to the negotiating table. Likewise, in Haryana, the political party, which reaped a total of ten seats, obliged the ruling party to come to terms. Both examples bring the BJP to an uneasy position. This ruling party lost 17 seats in the elections.

If we simply look at results of the UP bypolls, the picture about the ruling party is evidently clear. Yet, the SP’s success invigorates the party leadership to a considerable extent. Though, the Congress party’s Priyanka Gandhi has also expressed her elation at the increase in voting percentage.

As far as BSP is concerned, it failed entirely to even save its stronghold – the Jalalpur seat – in UP. More disappointing for the party was SP’s penetration into their pocket borough.

Coming to Haryana, the BSP finds nothing but sheer humiliating defeat on 75 of 80 seats. Throwing light upon Maharashtra polls results in regard to Mayawati’s party, it ended in a bigger setback due to a failure in reaching an alliance with Sharad Yadav’s NCP.

The leader earned applause for continuing his election speech despite heavy downpour, but BJP spokesman Sambit Patra has a different opinion on his grit. This story is one more endeavour of mine at ably analysing the direction of these events.

Featured image for representative purpose only.
Featured image source: Sonu Mehta/Hindustan Times via Getty Images.

Do you find online payments safe?

Take this survey and help companies and the government make online payments safer for you.

Take the Survey