Assembly Elections: Does The Low Voter Turnout Call For A Change In Process?

The recent state elections in Maharashtra and Haryana showed a poor participation of voters. One can assume that people were busy with their daily chores as usual and some got a chance to enjoy the extended weekend. This shows a lack of interest in knowing about the political process of the country.

Many have forgotten that their valuable vote can decide the fate of country and state. It is a surprising situation when our nation is set to be the youngest country of the world by 2020 but in contrast, the youth is majorly those who don’t believe in the political system which is one of the pillars of our constitution. They are happy with their jobs and business. Maybe we are not taught in schools and colleges that voting is equivalent to a national duty or maybe our minds are filled with the perception that politics is not our cup of tea.

Also, some people are eager to vote in the election but due to geographical constraint, cannot reach their constituency. Like those who migrated to other cities, government employees, students studying in another district, state or country, etc. And to be more specific, the soldiers of the country might hardly get any chance to vote when in service.

The need of the hour is to transform the whole political system as one has to change with time. The voting process needs to be made more flexible so that citizens can cast their votes from any part of the country and the world. This can be possible using digital technology judiciously.

Also, this can make a difference only if the citizens are made aware of the duties and rights in this democratic process. Lastly, few countries are fortunate enough to be ruled by its own people, so don’t take it for granted. Celebrate democracy.

Featured image for representative purpose only.