This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Shreya Debroy. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

This Is How Stigma And Shame Around Menstruation Can Affect The Economy

More from Shreya Debroy

For representation only.

Periods! I feel it is a most important process and should be brought under the limelight, with proper access to the precautions and awareness regarding the right product which would benefit one’s health. There was a time when women used to compromise their health. They used to be ashamed of bringing up topics regarding the menstrual cycle and its impact on their health as they thought that it would only destroy their family’s reputation in society for being ‘bold’ in front of the other gender.

The scenario has still not changed to a huge extent, as the impact is still not targeted entirely towards ‘transformation’. But is this actually something with which one should be ashamed of talking about? Isn’t periods a natural biological function? It is correctly said that the lack of access to menstrual health often leads to girls dropping out of school and women quitting work. But why is that women are still having to negotiate their independent lifestyle at the cost of their lives? Can’t both be managed perfectly, just like they balance personal and professional fronts?

A still from the movie Padman.

I feel Padman, a movie starring Akshay Kumar, took a bold step towards this initiative. His contribution towards this critical and sensitive matter was being highly applauded and appreciated, though criticised by some who wanted to shame men for being a part of this. It was a much-needed move because menstruation is something where waste is discarded by the body, but also, women have to bear immense pain. By being ashamed and by being shy, people are forgetting that their health is being compromised.

In the 21st century, where women are modifying and defining independence by getting involved with different genres of work, lack of access to menstrual health often leads to girls dropping out of school and women quitting work. This would mean a lesser number of women in the workforce and a lower GDP.

These are some steps that need to be taken regarding menstrual health:

1.) Firstly, make people aware of the sensitivity and nuances of menstrual health.

2.) Conduct a lot of health camps and health campaigns by people who devote their time and energy entirely towards this initiative. Striking the correct place will make the initiative a lot more successful.

3.) Campaigns and health drives in rural areas to break the stigma around periods, and spread awareness to understand that it is definitely not a matter of fact to be ashamed of is needed, which to the most extent has been successful in bringing change.

4.) Women should be made aware of all the correct precautions so that they don’t have to stop their education or compromise with their work culture.

If proper care is not given or take, the menstrual cycle might lead to death too. Women lose their lives due to negligence and lack of proper measures. It destroys their work life. Women’s contribution to the GDP of the country is important, along with the men’s contribution. Women are equally capable of managing their professional life. I would say that the discriminating ratio regarding capability between different genders has decreased int the current era. It is contributing to the growth of the country along with the growth of the people.

Nowadays one can see that many entrepreneurs are coming up with different ideas regarding menstrual health and products. They are coming with options of different kinds of sanitary pads and other products, and thus, making it less harmful and environment-friendly.

It will be beneficial if people are taught the proper use of these, thus affecting their health in a positive way, as well as the environment. Educational institutes should teach people about its usage and importance. Women from all areas and across the world should be made aware of the fact that periods are something to feel proud of rather than being shamed over it. People should also be made aware of the germs that could spread if proper care is not taken.

Thus, I would like to state that the more awareness about menstrual health is spread, the more healthy would the women in India be.

Featured Image For Representation Only
  1. Anjana Pandey

I also appreciate that we should talk about period openly. It’s a natural process why women ashamed when anyone talk about periods. Periods as a ornaments of women not a thing that in public place women feel shy.

More from Shreya Debroy

By Okoth Paul

By KASHVI CHANDOK

By Wasiq Agha