Politics Of Plastic: Is A Ban A Step In The Right Direction?

WhyOnEarth logo mobEditor’s Note: Are you bothered by the drastic changes in our climate, causing extreme weather events and calamities such as the Kerala Floods? #WhyOnEarth aims to take the truth to the people with stories, experiences, opinions and revelations about the climate change reality that you should know, and act on. Have a story to share? Click here and publish.

Plastic. We have all seen it. Felt it. Used it. Learned how it’s produced. Some of us have fallen in love with it, and some of us have blamed old people for society’s rather prolonged dalliance with it. We have shopped using plastic bags, shared drinks using plastic straws, flicked on and off plastic switches. We have sat in plastic chairs, played with and smashed plastic toys, communicated using phones having plastic bodies, banged our plastic keyboards hard when we had had enough of slow peripherals. And a few of us have sold plastic eggs to the suckers of the world (what’s life without a little conning?). And yet we are nowhere near mentioning the gazillion ways in which humans have become all but plastic.

Credit: 9gag.com

But why should we centre ourselves in this conversation? Let’s talk about how other animals have come to embrace plastic as well. Anchovies just love the smell of plastic. Of course, what actually whets their appetite is a bit of bacteria on it. Which it collects passively all the while it is swimming in the ocean. Hungry anchovies just gobble up the plastic along with what is food to them. But the little fish have not evolved to digest plastic. Very few creatures have. So any animal that consumes anchovies that have gluttoned on plastic will now be responsible for hoarding more or less the same amount of plastic that it has innocently consumed, in its body. Vultures have been eating plastic for a while, with the latter comfortably outliving the former. Plastic also travels. There is a documented case of an albatross ingesting 60-year-old airplane debris 9600 km away from the crash site. Plastic is everywhere in the oceans.

In fact, in 30 years, there could be more plastic in the oceans than fish! Cows are also eating plastic these days. Abandoned gau ex-matas travel to urban spaces where discarded vegetable bits might be wrapped in plastic in garbage dumps. Grass has become so scarce, and plastic so abundant, it’s no wonder that cows are replanning their diets. This kind of diet modification only has a few wee disadvantages – of restricting their otherwise ravenous appetites, of reducing milk production and drastically shortening their Methuselah-like life spans (just kidding, I was referring to plastic).

Credit: 9gag.com

We, humans, and our friends (and enemies) in the natural world are beginning to swim in plastic. It’s becoming a menace. So much so that even terrorists are acknowledging it.

So when our Prime Minister declared from the ramparts of the still-not-renamed Lal Qila on the 15th of August that come October 2, there will be a blanket ban on single-use plastic, and then invoked gau mata a few days later in claiming to have witnessed “cows being operated and heaps of plastic being removed from their bodies”  – the “entire nation” had to sit up and take notice. Lest the anti-national in you forgot, October 2, 2019, is the day when Swachh Bharat is supposed to have met its objectives of “eliminating open defecation” and “promot[ing] social inclusion by improving sanitation especially in marginalized communities”.

Well, if a recent case – two Dalit boys, 11 and 12, were killed for daring to defecate in the open – is anything to go by, Swachh Bharat has met with astounding success. It has saved on valuable tax money by not spending it on building toilets for Dalits, and now lynchers are doing their nationalist duty in “eliminating open defecation”.

Rest assured, Hindutva values ensure that there will always be enough Dalits available to deal with your s**t, literally. The Gates Foundation was so moved by the idea that it recently decided to reward the Trump-branded Father of Our Nation (you’re not Indian if you don’t agree with 45, and no, it doesn’t matter that he has been credibly accused of being actually anti-national and is facing impeachment) for doing the job of elimination so adeptly. Even though some testy critics argue that the scheme has mostly failed, Swachh Bharat has certainly helped improve the image of Our Father, if not sanitation. So what if a pesky Kashmiri decided to resign in protest over the coordinated, state-sanctioned so-called dehumanisation of Kashmiris by the Swachh government since August 5, 2019?

I almost forgot; this article is about plastic, not politics. Not any politics that isn’t plastic anyway. So, Indians, last known, consume 11 kg of plastic per capita per year. At the current rate of growth (not of jobs or median income, but of plastic consumption) it will hit around 20 kg by 2022, according to estimates that don’t account for underreporting. More than two-fifths of this is and will be single-use plastic (hey fellow ’90s kids, remember growing up in the times of “use and throw”?). It seemingly makes sense to want to eliminate single-use plastic if a curb is to be put on plastic use. Even though the average Indian generates less than half the global average of plastic waste, overall we generate more than 26,000 tonnes every day.

What Is The Problem – Pollution Or Overpopulation?

This is the paradox that confronts India – despite bearing the heaviest burden of poverty among all nations in the world, the sheer size of its population means that it causes so much pollution on the aggregate that it has to take a lead in curbing it, without either adequate resources or political will to get things done. What is the problem then – pollution or overpopulation? Father India, who has no child of his own, suggested in that spine-tingling Independence Day speech that the latter also be held to account. He blamed parents who have more than two children for keeping India uneducated and unhealthy; those who limited the number of children they had are to be seen as true patriots.

It doesn’t, of course, matter that he didn’t mention the government’s responsibility in promoting comprehensive sex education and spreading awareness about the benefits of having small families and about birth control measures. It’s well known that too many kids grow up on India’s streets, abandoned, vulnerable, others abused in orphanages. There was no impassioned appeal made to the “patriots” to adopt more children instead of having their “own”. It also doesn’t matter that India’s population growth rate has been falling since the 1970s. The overwhelming majority of parents having large families come from marginalised backgrounds. The fact that they perennially stay marginalised due to discrimination and due to the failures of the government in the social sector means they can never make a demographic transition to prosperity and hence smaller families. The PM’s comment was, therefore, decidedly anti-poor, if not also anti-Muslim and anti-Dalit. For a government that seems to be contemptuous of the “Khan Market Gang” (i.e. the privileged elite), it’s fascinating how it sometimes betrays classist, if not brazenly casteist or communal, sentiments of its own. The ‘tea-seller’ is now worth more than ₹2.5 crores.

As you can see, I have a penchant for asides. Regardless, putting a cap on poor people’s fecundity is unlikely to bring the plastic menace under control. A study by Schmidt et al indicates that of the ten river basins that contribute the most river-carried plastic waste to the world’s oceans, two are in South Asia – Indus and Ganga-Brahmaputra. This component of plastic waste in oceans forms around 30 – 35% of the total. This is more due to mismanagement of plastic waste and less due to any proportional rise in the use and careless disposal of plastic with rise in population. There is the problem of underreporting as mentioned earlier.

Lack of adequate measures in spreading awareness about segregation of waste at source means that the task of those who separate non-biodegradable from degradable waste and recyclable plastic from non-recyclables becomes a lot more onerous than it would have been otherwise. As for recycling of plastic waste, the Plastic Waste Management rules of 2018 have largely gone unheeded, as much of plastic in use in urban areas continues to not be tagged with numbers that would indicate the type of plastic and hence recyclability.

CPCB’s own rogues’ gallery excludes multilayered packaging in which snacks like chips, nuts, and candies are sold, which are almost never recycled and, therefore, shunned even by rag-pickers. Plastic has become so ubiquitous that there are few viable alternatives currently available to the average consumer. There is low awareness about the truth on “biodegradable” bin liners, that they require specific conditions for degradation typically not available in landfills and oceans. There is also talk of compostable alternatives to plastic. But in the absence of robust testing and certification to verify claims made by producers, spurious biodegradable and compostable plastics are entering the marketplace.

In January this year, the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) said that 12 companies were marketing carry bags and products marked ‘compostable’ without any certification and asked the respective State Pollution Control Boards to take action on these units. All this is consistent with how solid waste is managed in India, exacerbated by a paucity of waste handling facilities in urban areas; much of what is there is informal. It is not uncommon to see young ragpickers labouring away near municipal waste dumps, trying to segregate waste and collect recyclables, without gloves, proper shoes or masks – foregoing good health and an education in fervent hopes of making a few bucks at the end of the day, enough for a meal. Obviously, these kids are responsible for making India unhealthy. And it’s not as if they have rights under Article 24 of the Constitution – probably because they were not birthed by ‘patriotic’ parents.

Degradation of plastic waste is not open-and-shut. Plastic waste fragments. When I was talking about humans being “all but plastic”, I was referring to the microplastics problem. It is literally ubiquitous. Microplastic is plastic that is smaller than 5 mm in size, and as such might not be “seen” as a problem. Microplastic can be created when plastic debris abandoned in the wild is broken up into smaller pieces by natural and artificial forces. It can end up anywhere – soil, air, water or even the Arctic. It is also added to the environment when humans use products laced with microbeads. Microbeads are meant to act as exfoliants in products like facewash gels and toothpastes (‘whiteners’). These might make us humans “glow”, but since we are obsessed with washing our sins away, these microbeads end up in surface water and groundwater systems, as well as the oceans, the ultimate dumping grounds. The Great Pacific Garbage Patch has now become famous, and microplastics are the stars of the show. So these little beasts come back to us with a vengeance through our water supply, after having comfortably evaded filtration checks. Plastic teabags release billions of microplastic particles in your cuppa – ranging between a tenth of micrometer to five mm in size. Not to worry – for the time being, WHO asserts that microplastic larger than 150 micrometers in size have no demonstrable ill effect on human health. But this is assuming that there is a negligible amount of nanometer-level microplastic fragments present in drinking water, which might cause as-yet-unknown health issues, as these can be absorbed by the human body. But once again, why just centre ourselves? Let’s look at how microplastics affect others as well. It has been found that worms fail to thrive in soils contaminated with microplastic, which should be of concern to us all as worms are key to maintaining soil fertility, which is positively correlated with food security. As we have seen earlier, anchovies gorge on food infested with plastic, which might be seen as funny, even cute, but ingesting plastic causes actual harm to marine animals. In addition to losing their appetite a la cows on plastic diet, they also suffer from lacerations, infections, reduced ability to swim, and internal injuries. Floating plastics also contribute to the spread of invasive marine organisms and bacteria, which disrupt ecosystems. Discarded fishing nets made of plastic sometimes leads to “ghost-fishing”, causing losses to the fisheries industry. As marine biodiversity is crucial to life on Earth, any threat to it should be of major concern to us all.

In addition to the biodegradability and biomagnification issues that plastic waste causes, it is also implicated in the impending apocalypse that is climate change. A report by Center for International Environmental Law (CIEL) suggests that while currently plastic production and incineration releases around 850 million tonnes of carbon into the atmosphere globally, it could reach 1.5 times that amount by 2030. Although still a small portion of the planet’s overall “carbon budget” at current carbon emission levels, it’s apt to argue that if we are looking to drastically reduce the scale of emissions to levels that would allow us to achieve the extremely ambitious targets set by 2015 Paris Agreement, then this does become significant. It must be remembered that the raw material for plastic is obtained through fractionation of crude petroleum, and any processing of fossil fuels releases greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. Incineration of non-recyclable plastic again releases greenhouse gases. There is a paradox here: plastic itself actually acts as a carbon sink, but in the production and disposal of plastic waste, it ends up releasing carbon. The best possible to way to do away with this paradox is to do away with what causes the paradox – plastic. But that ain’t easy.

The Independence Day pledge to ceremonially effect a nationwide ban on single use plastic on October 2 has drawn criticism from different quarters. Jairam Ramesh of INC, for example, has pointed out that the plastic industry “employs lakhs and the real problem is how we dispose & recycle waste”. While it is true that the government hasn’t had sleepless nights over India’s unemployment problem – I wouldn’t be surprised if it emerged that the government deemed those foregoing the luxury of employment as patriots – Ramesh’s assertion too is problematic. Studies show that those who work in the plastic industry often work in hazardous conditions and are exposed to a variety of serious health risks. One study demonstrates that women who work in the plastic industry face heightened risks of breast cancer. Another study shows that people who work in polystyrene production might, in addition to depressed pulmonary functioning, undergo chromosomal changes, which might produce genetic disorders in their offspring. That aside, we have seen how the production and disposal of non-recyclable plastic is an issue. It is important to phase out plastic while retraining workers currently working in the plastic industry. Those working in the plastic industry, for now, must be given adequate protection against hazards in the workplace environment.

Will A Plastic Ban Be Effective?

Then there are those who say that bans have never been, and will not be effective. There is some evidence that is true. Bans, as opposed to regulations, invariably send the delegitimized industries underground. The more punitive the ban, the greater the difficulties and resources required in enforcing the diktat. Plastic has become so popular over the years that it would be illogical to expect people to boycott it entirely in one go. In Kenya, which has one of the strictest bans on plastic use, the authorities have allowed plastic to be used for wrapping food items. Also, bans only work if there are readily available and objectively superior alternatives. If plastic bags are to be replaced with paper, cloth or processed jute bags, that would require a huge tradeoff with our climate plans. For example, a cotton bag must be reused 20,000 times to produce less of an environmental impact than a single-use plastic bag. Also, using the catchall “biodegradable” might mislead consumers, as some biodegradable materials are only broken down by specific kinds of bacteria not necessarily available adequately in the wild. Reconciling facts like these with our consumerist and environmentally apathetic culture might be difficult. Can we be weaned off our consumerism? We will probably have to count on old-school Swadeshi nationalism.

It is obvious that any strategy to deal with the plastic menace has to be balanced and multi-pronged. For one thing, it is extremely important to foster a culture of waste segregation at source. This needs to happen at the level of local self-government (i.e. municipal or panchayat). People need to be educated about the importance of waste segregation and then incentivized appropriately (preferably at community level to promote teamwork) to practise the same. Reusable and recyclable plastic must be promoted over single-use plastic. Since children can be enthusiastic enforcers, schools should be encouraged to participate in waste management workshops, and schoolchildren who bring about changes in their communities should be recognized and rewarded. It obviously helps if those on the supply side become sensitized of the scale of the problem, whether of their own volition, or otherwise. Three of the largest mineral water/carbonated beverage companies in India, anticipating a ban on PET bottles they package their products in, are setting up a joint plastic waste management entity. Adidas is seeking to pioneer engineering plastic marine waste into sportswear and shoes – they call it Ocean Plastic. That sounds really cool.

Types Of Plastic

We need more recycling and need to keep hunting for alternatives. Plastics are mainly of two types – thermoplastic and thermoset. Thermoplastic is pliable and can be melted and remoulded to manufacture new products because of two-dimensional polymerization. Single-use plastic and PVC belong to this category. Thermoset plastic undergoes three-dimensional polymerization, and therefore ‘sets’ into shape and cannot be melted or remoulded. Switches made of Bakelite are an example of thermoset plastic. Recycling can currently only be done with thermoplastic, but not thermoset plastic. While the latter have longer life spans, they are a perennial headache when it comes to disposing them off. Some research by a Chinese scientist has shown it might be possible to recycle thermoset plastics, but we will have to wait till it is adopted at an industrial level. India’s “Plastic Man” Padma Shri R. Vasudevan has developed a technology to fortify tar with shredded thermoplastic waste to build roads. He predicts that the plastic waste generated in India can be absorbed by its roads, which sounds noble if ambitious. As for alternatives, it has already been established that currently available ones have limited utility and generate new waste-handling as well as climate concerns. Silicone-based alternatives to plastic should be looked at, and currently available silicone-plastic hybrids must be improved upon. These could present us with a viable alternative to plastic, as the raw material for silicone is easily available (sand), and also silicone doesn’t degrade to microplastic level, thus making it more manageable. Additionally, it would help provide alternative employment opportunities to those currently working in the plastic industry.

There will be resistance from the plastic industry to keep itself from being pushed into obsolescence. Those roadblocks will have to be dealt with. While the owners will always have alternatives, the workers will have to be convinced that there are greener pastures elsewhere and should be retrained adequately. Green jobs need to created and citizens should be nudged towards giving up or drastically reducing plastic use. The government will have to play a crucial role in all this. It cannot simply pass the buck to ‘patriots’, regardless of how many awards it wins, if a ban on plastic is to be all but a formality.

'

Veer Ojas is a 16-year-old who is deeply concerned about climate action and shares a deep emotional connect with Indian forests, having an ecologically inclined family and surrounding. In February 2019, he became aware of the threat to Aravalis, and subsequently attended a series of protests against the PLPA Amendment, including a long human chain along the Sunset Boulevard in Gurgaon. Shortly after, with Manya Anandi, he was a part of a team of children and adults who organised the first Fridays For Future Protest in India on 26th March. However, they felt that this needs to be a children led movement, and formed Climate Action Gurgaon in May. Since then, they have organised the largest children-led protests in India.
He feels that it is important to sensitise ourselves to what we are fighting for, so CAG organised walks through the Aravalli Biodiversity Park, and shortly after organised a 400 children protest to protect the Aravallis.

Sadhviji is a renowned female spiritual leader in India. She is Secretary-General of Global Interfaith WASH Alliance, launched by UNICEF, the world’s first alliance of religious leaders for Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, President of Divine Shakti Foundation, a charitable organization bringing education and empowerment to women and children, and Director of the world-famous International Yoga Festival. She also serves as Vice-Chair of the United Nations’ Advisory Council on Religion, and on the Steering Committee of the Partnership for Religion and Sustainable Development. Sadhviji has received numerous awards and recognition for her leadership in India, including from the Cabinet Minister of Water Resources as well as from the Ambassador of the United States to India.

Dia Mirza is an actor, producer, UN Environment Goodwill Ambassador & United Nations Advocate for Sustainable Development Goals. As a champion of nature, Dia Mirza dons many a hat with élan and ease.

Today, Dia has become the voice of environmental and wildlife conservation in the country and a torchbearer for causes related to nature. She was appointed as the United Nations Environment Goodwill Ambassador for India at the UNEA assembly held in Nairobi. She championed the campaign #BeatPlasticPollution along with the UN leading to World Environment Day in 2018 when India was host nation leading to the historic declaration by PM Modi to make India Single Use Plastics Free by 2022. Her exhaustive list of titles include Founder member of Wildlife Trust of India’s Club Nature, Ambassador Wildlife Trust Of India, Ambassador for the Swachh Bharat Mission’s “Swachh Saathi” program, Ambassador for Sanctuary Asia’s Tiger Conservation – Kids For Tigers program, Member of the Governing Board of the Sanctuary Nature Foundation, and the first Indian Ambassador for Save the Children. She believes that the creative arts, cinema, documentaries and photography are powerful tools for social change and conservation.

As the forerunner in reigniting and strengthening the relation between man and nature, Dia is a champion of nature in its truest sense.

Suman Devathiya is a senior Dalit leader from Rajasthan and has been working with the community for more than 15 years. Hailing from the community, she brings with her vast knowledge of human rights law and access to justice for most marginalized communities.

Currently, she associated with All India Dalit Mahila Adhikar Manch in Rajasthan, raising the issues of Dalit women, She is working to protect their rights. Suman brings with her great courage, passion, commitment and energy for the movement. She has independently led Dalit Woman Self Respect March across more than 20 districts of Rajasthan.
Earlier this year, she was nominated by Rafto Foundation to attend the four days training on Women, Business and Rights held in Delhi. She has brought in the critical perspective of Dalit women in this discourse.

After 10 years of being a prime time radio show host and content producer with India’s leading radio broadcast networks, Sucharita Tyagi now works with media brands, publications, and partnerships across the Times Bridge network. She’s also one of the most popular, and more fun film critics on the circuit, her YouTube show ‘Not A Movie Review’ has garnered a sizeable following over the last few years. Sucharita writes for TV shows, is a live events emcee, does not shy away from schooling trolls in the YouTube comment section, and is overall a super neat person.

A classical dancer and a political activist, Sharmistha Mukherjee is a woman with many interests. A highly accomplished Kathak dancer and choreographer, Sharmistha has performed extensively in India and over forty countries abroad. A regular speaker in seminars, Sharmistha has been vocal about women empowerment; sharing her concerns about gender disparity, safety and security of women in India. An active member of Indian National Congress, she is the President of Delhi Pradesh Mahila Congress and a national spokesperson of Indian National Congress. She is a regular columnist on politics.

Meera Devi is the Bureau Chief at Khabar Lahariya, focussing on training and special investigations. She has worked as a reporter in Bundelkhand for over 12 years.

Charu is the first female head of National Legal Cell of the Bhartiya Janta Party’s youth wing. A law graduate from Government Law College, University of Mumbai in 2006, she runs free legal aid centres for women across India and has helped build a network of lawyers who provide free legal assistance to disadvantaged women. Charu also organises training workshops for Legal Cell members across India to help empower the youth on civic and legal issues.
She is a Fellow of the Konrad Adenauer School for Young Politicians and founding member of the India-Israel Young Leaders Forum.

Grace Banu is a Dalit and transgender rights activist. A computer engineer, she is the first transgender person to be admitted to an engineering college in the state of Tamil Nadu. She is the founder of the Trans Rights Now Collective – a Dalit Bahujan Adivasi centred collective of Trans people who are working across India to build trans leaders, support Trans education, and build trans job opportunity.

Abhay Xaxa is the National Convenor at National Campaign on Dalit Human Rights. He is an Adivasi Rights Activist, Senior Campaign Coordinator, Higher Education Campaigner and Social Anthropologist by training and has worked with grassroots organisations, campaigns, NGOs, media, research institutions in different capacities on the issue of Dalit Adivasi budget rights, bonded labour, migration, local self-governance and development induced displacement in central India.

Jothimani is a politician, writer, and social worker. A member of the Indian National Congress, she was elected to the Lok Sabha from Karur, Tamil Nadu in 2019. Before that, she was elected as the Union Councilor of Gudalur West Panchayat, Tamil Nadu at the age of 22. She has been instrumental in developing the villages under her Panchayat and ensured drinking water, electricity, roads, schools, PDS shops, libraries and rain water harvesting. Having joined politics at a young age, Jothimani served separate terms as the General Secretary and Vice President of Indian Youth Congress and Tamil Nadu Youth Congress respectively.

Manuraj Shunmugasundaram is the National Media Spokesperson for the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam party. He is the Chair of the Steering Committee for Australia India Youth Dialogue. He is also a lawyer and practices at the Madras High Court. He is also a part of the Steering Committee for the School of Policy and Governance.

In the past, he has also served as a Policy Advisor to Members of Parliament. In November of 2010, Mr. Shunmugasundaram was selected as a Fellow of the Legislative Fellows Program, organized by the U.S. State Department, in 2010. He also participated in the European Union Visitor Program in 2013 as well as the Australia-India Youth Dialogue in 2014. He was a part of Project Interchange Indian delegation to visit Israel & Palestine in 2017.

Mr. Shunmugasundaram works to advance the cause of responsible politics, participatory governance, and evidence-based public policy. He is a regular contributor to The Hindu, Times of India, Indian Express, Huffington Post and The Print.

वे मृत्यु दंड पाए हुए कैदियों के मानसिक स्वास्थ्य के मुद्दों पर प्रोजेक्ट 39 ए द्वारा किए जा रहे शोध का एक मुख्य सदस्य हैं। इसके भाग के रूप में, उन्होंने देशभर में मृत्यु दंड की सज़ा काट रहे कैदियों और उनके परिवारों के साथ साक्षात्कार करने के लिए यात्रा की है। वे देश के लॉ कॉलेजों में फैले एक कानूनी सहायता क्लिीनिक “परिचय” की भी कोर टीम की सदस्या हैं। यह मुहिम उन लोगों की कानूनी मदद करता है जो NRC की लिस्ट से हटा दिए गए हैं। वसुंधरा ने कॉलेज में क्लीयर और स्ट्रेट समुदाय के लोगों के गठबंधन की भी स्थापना की है, ताकि जेंडर और सेक्शुएलिटी से जुड़े तमाम महत्वपूर्ण मुद्दों पर बातचीत का माहौल तैयार हो सके।
एक कानून की छात्रा होने के नाते, वे मानती हैं कि वंचित लोगों को ध्यान में रखते हुए, समाज में प्रगतिशील परिवर्तन के लिए एक एजेंट के रूप में कानून का उपयोग करना एक कर्तव्य है।
इन्हें अपने Pet और पसंदीदा सेक्सोफोनिस्ट के बारे में बात करना बहुत पसंद है।

2011 बैच के आई.ए.एस. अफसर विशाख जी अय्यर वर्तमान में उत्तर प्रदेश के मुख्यमंत्री के विशेष सचिव हैं। इससे पहले वह यूपी के ही चित्रकूट में डिस्ट्रिक्ट मजिस्ट्रेट थे।
केरल के इडुक्की से निकलकर, विशाख पहले भदोही के ज़िला मजिस्ट्रेट के पद पर रहे फिर मेरठ और वाराणसी के मुख्य विकास अधिकारी के पद पर भी रहे।
एमजी यूनिवर्सिटी कॉलेज ऑफ इंजीनियरिंग, थोडुपुझा के भूतपूर्व छात्र रहने के साथ-साथ वह यूनिवर्सिटी ऑफ ऑक्सफोर्ड के फेलो भी रहे हैं। उन्होंने इलेक्ट्रॉनिक्स एंड कम्युनिकेशन इंजीनियरिंग में बीटेक और पब्लिक पॉलिसी में एमए किया है।
विशाख ने ज़िलाधिकारी चित्रकूट के रूप में अपने कार्यकाल के दौरान, सामुदायिक भागीदारी के साथ मंदाकिनी नदी को पुनर्जीवित करने में महत्वपूर्ण भूमिका निभाई थी। ‘नदी कायाकल्प’ कैटेगरी के तहत चित्रकूट ज़िले को नैशनल वॉटर अवॉर्ड्स 2019 भी प्राप्त हुआ।

एक सोशल एंटरप्रेन्योर होने के साथ-साथ अंशुल युवा मीडिया इंफ्लूएंसर भी हैं, जिन्होंने 17 वर्ष की उम्र में महत्वपूर्ण मुद्दों पर युवाओं को अपनी राय रखने के उद्देश्य से भारत के सबसे बड़े सोशल जस्टिस मीडिया प्लैटफॉर्म Youth Ki Awaaz की शुरुआत की थी। इन 11 सालों में राष्ट्रीय स्तर पर YKA की इम्पैक्ट स्टोरीज़ के ज़रिये सिटीज़न जर्नलिज़्म और जन-भागीदारी आंदोलन में अंशुल को व्यापक अनुभव प्राप्त हुआ है।
बतौर अशोका फेलो, INK फेलो, संयुक्त राष्ट्र के यंग इनोवेटर और फोर्ब्स 30 अंडर 30 में शामिल होकर अंशुल ने राजनीति, जेंडर और आर्ट से लेकर कल्चर तक कई प्रमुख संस्थाओं को ज़रूरी मुद्दों पर युवाओं को अपने साथ जोड़ने में मदद की है।
वह भारत के लिए यूएन वूमन के सिविल सोसाइटी सलाहकार समूह में भी हैं और इससे पहले झटका बोर्ड में काम कर चुके हैं।

बंगलौर की रहने वाली वैदही ने अपने करियर की शुरुआत एक आईटी इंडस्ट्री से की। एक सॉफ्टवेयर इंजीनियर के रूप में वैदही ने भारत और विदेश में लंबे समय तक काम किया। कुछ वक्त बाद इन्होंने अमेरिका से अपनी कॉर्पोरेट नौकरी छोड़ी और पहाड़ों में चली गई। उन्होंने लद्दाख में SECMOL नामक एक इको-स्कूल में बतौर शिक्षक वॉलंटियर किया।
उसके बाद उनका अगला पड़ाव था, वियतनाम, जहां उन्होंने फिर से स्वेच्छा से एक एनजीओ में अंग्रेज़ी शिक्षक के रूप में काम किया, जो कि सापा के पहाड़ों में आदिवासियों का पुनर्वास करता है। इसी दौरान थोड़ें समय के लिए उन्होंने ‘‘Humans Of Bombay’ और ‘We The People’ में लेखक के रूप में काम किया ।
वर्डप्ले ने अपनी पूरी यात्रा उनके साथ की है, और इस सफर में उन्होंने पाया कि ट्विटर उनके विचारों को प्रकाशित करने का एक सुविधाजनक माध्यम था। वैदेही के ट्विटर हैंडल में अब तक के 5000 से ज़्यादा लोग उन्हें फॉलो करते हैं, और लगभग 12.5K लोग वर्डप्ले को फॉलो करते हैं
इस प्रसिद्धि ने इन्हें उनकी वर्तमान जॉब से मिलाया जो कि डुंज़ो नाम का एप है जिसमें वे में सोशल मीडिया कंटेंट लीड के तौर पर कार्यरत हैं।

26 वर्षीय शिखा मंडी संथाल जनजाति से ताल्लुक रखती हैं, जो कि भारत में तीसरी सबसे बड़ी जनजाति है। वे भारत की पहली RJ हैं जो संथाली में पूरे कार्यक्रम की मेजबानी करती हैं। रेडियो मिलान पर उनका दो घंटे का शो जौहर झाड़ग्राम पिछले एक साल में व्यापक रूप से लोकप्रिय हो गया है। इसमें स्थानीय मुद्दों की एक विस्तृत श्रृंखला शामिल है, जिसमें आदिवासी संस्कृति, त्यौहार, और आदिवासियों के सामने आने वाली चुनौतियां शामिल हैं।

नेहा अरोड़ा प्लैनेट एबल्ड की संस्थापक हैं, जो विभिन्न विकलांग लोगों और बुजु़र्गों के लिए सुलभ और आरामदायक यात्रा प्रदान करती है। संयुक्त राष्ट्र के वियना में ज़ीरो प्रोजेक्ट सम्मेलन द्वारा प्लैनेट एबल्ड को सर्वश्रेष्ठ नवीन पहलों में से एक के रूप में सम्मानित किया गया। प्लैनेट एबल्ड को आउटलुक ट्रैवलर और वर्ल्ड ट्रैवल मार्केट, लंदन द्वारा इंडिया रिस्पॉन्सिबल टूरिज्म अवॉर्ड भी प्राप्त है। इसके साथ ही इस संस्था को ट्रैवल एंड ओवर ऑल विनर में बेस्ट इनोवेशन और एनसीपीईडीपी – एमफैसिस यूनिवर्सल डिज़ाइन अवार्ड से भी सम्मानित किया गया है।
इस वर्ष, प्लैनेट एबल्ड को भारत सरकार के पर्यटन मंत्रालय द्वारा सबसे अनोखे और नए पर्यटन उत्पाद के लिए राष्ट्रीय पुरस्कार से सम्मानित किया गया है। प्लैनेट एबल्ड ने भारत का एक प्रमुख सुलभ यात्रा गंतव्य के रूप में अंतरराष्ट्रीय स्तर पर प्रतिनिधित्व किया है। उनमें आईटीबी बर्लिन, थाईलैंड में वैश्विक सतत पर्यटन परिषद सम्मेलन और मालागा, स्पेन में पर्यटन और तकनीक की विविधता पर अंतरराष्ट्रीय काँग्रेस शामिल है।
नेहा एक ग्लोबल गुड फंड फेलो और इंडिया इंक्लूज़न फेलो हैं। ये नैसडैक एंटरप्रेन्योरियल सेंटर MMI प्रोग्राम की ग्रैजुएट भी हैं।
यात्राओं के माध्यम से विकलांग लोगों की समस्याओं और मुद्दों को मुख्यधारा में लाने के लिए नेहा कॉरपोरेट्स, विश्वविद्यालयों, इनक्यूबेटरों और विभिन्न मंचों में सेमिनार और कार्यशालाएं आयोजित करती हैं।

मोहम्मद शम्स आलम शेख एक अंतरराष्ट्रीय पैरा तैराक हैं। इन्होंने 2016 में गैटन्यू, क्यूबेक (कनाडा) में आयोजित हुए पैरा स्विमिंग चैंपियनशिप में 100 मीटर ब्रेस्टस्ट्रोक SB4 कैटेगरी में ब्रॉन्ज जीता था। इसके साथ ही इन्होंने 2018 में इंडोनेशिया के जकारता शहर में आयोजित एशियन पैरा गेम्स में भारत का प्रतिनिधित्व किया था।
शम्स वर्तमान में एक पैराप्लैजिक द्वारा सबसे लंबे समय तक खुले समुद्र में तैरने का विश्व रिकॉर्ड रखते हैं। उन्हें 2018 में बिहार खेल रत्न अवार्ड और ज्वेल ऑफ नेशन अवार्ड 2017 सहित कई सम्मान मिल चुके हैं।

मीर भारतीय प्रशासनिक सेवा (IAS) के 2011 बैच के अधिकारी हैं, जो केरल राज्य में सेवारत हैं। उन्हें अगस्त 2016 में कन्नूर के ज़िला कलेक्टर के रूप में तैनात किया गया था। भारत के पहले प्लास्टिक / डिस्पोज़ेबल-मुक्त ज़िले कन्नूर को यह उपाधि दिलाने में इनका मुख्य योगदान था।
इनके द्वारा शुरू फेक न्यूज़ को लेकर “सत्यमेव जयते” नाम की पहल की गई जो टीचर्स और स्टूडेंट्स को फेक न्यूज़ और गलत सूचनाओं की पहचान करने के लिए ट्रेन करती है।
इस कार्यक्रम को कन्नूर में 200 से अधिक स्कूलों में लागू किया गया था, जिसमें 80,000 से अधिक बच्चे शामिल थे और यह देश में अपनी तरह का पहला स्कूल था। उनका काम भारतीय मीडिया से लेकर ब्रिटेन, चीन और जापान में अंतरराष्ट्रीय नेटवर्क द्वारा व्यापक रूप से कवर किया गया था।
उनके नेतृत्व में, कन्नूर को पांच ई-गवर्नेंस अवॉर्ड मिले, जिनमें जनवरी 2019 में केरल के मुख्यमंत्री का ज़िला सर्वश्रेष्ठ ई-गवर्नेंस ज़िलों में शामिल था।
उन्होंने बड़ी परियोजनाओं का नेतृत्व किया है, जिन्होंने नागरिकों के लिए मूल्य और सुविधा बनाने पर ध्यान केंद्रित किया है। समाज के महत्वपूर्ण मुद्दों पर सरकार से लेकर निजी क्षेत्र और समाज के सदस्यों को एक साथ लाने का प्रयास उनके काम करने की मुख्य प्रेरणा शक्ति रही है।
कन्नूर कलेक्टर के रूप में तीन साल के सफल कार्यकाल के बाद, उन्होंने हाल ही में केरल राज्य सुचितवा मिशन के निदेशक के रूप में कार्यभार संभाला है, जो राज्य भर में वेस्ट मैनेजमेंट योजनाओं के कार्यान्वयन की देखरेख करता है।

मैरी सेबैस्टियन न्याय के क्षेत्र से जुड़ी हैं और काफी लंबे समय से महिलाओं और बच्चों के खिलाफ हो रही हिंसा को खत्म करने में प्रयासरत हैं। इन्होंने मुख्य रूप से महाराष्ट्र में यौन तस्करी के सर्वाइवर बच्चों और महिलाओं को केंद्र में रखकर काम किया है। वे वर्तमान में एक वैश्विक स्तर पर तस्करी के खिलाफ काम कर रहे संगठन, इंटरनेशनल जस्टिस मिशन के साथ काम कर रही हैं, जहां वे
कानून प्रवर्त्तन अधिकारियों की कॉमरशियल यौन शोषण के सर्वाइवर्स को बचाने में सहायता करती हैं और साथ में अदालती कार्यवाही के माध्यम से कानूनी प्रतिनिधित्व भी प्रदान करती हैं। मैरी राज्य स्तर पर सर्वाइवर्स के न्याय-संबंधी मुद्दों की वकालत करती हैं। उन्होंने कॉमरशियल यौन शोषण में गिरफ्तारी की मांग हेतु
राष्ट्रीय स्तर पर एक परामर्श का आयोजन भी किया है। वह वर्तमान में महाराष्ट्र राज्य बाल अधिकार संरक्षण आयोग के साथ महाराष्ट्र के 6 ज़िलों में किशोर न्याय (देखभाल और संरक्षण) अधिनियम, 2015 के तहत चाइल्ड केयर एजेंसियों के कामकाज का विश्लेषण करने के लिए एक शोध कर रही हैं। मैरी वैचारिक लीडरशिप की पहल से तस्करी को लेकर जागरूकता और संवेदनशीलता पैदा करने की दिशा में भी काम कर रही हैं।

मालिनी को 3 उद्योगों – आईटी, मीडिया और यात्रा में 15 सालों का अनुभव है। वे एक वॉयस ओवर आर्टिस्ट और F5 Escapes की संस्थापक / सीईओ हैं, जो एक अनुभवात्मक यात्रा कंपनी है और महिलाओं के लिए भारत में यात्रा को अलग तरीके से परिभाषित करने का उद्देश्य रखती है। वे ना केवल भारत को महिलाओं के लिए सुरक्षित गंतव्य के रूप में स्थापित करने का प्रचार प्रसार करती हैं बल्कि इस दिशा में कार्य करने के लिए भी प्रतिबद्ध हैं। इसके अलावा उनका मानना है कि यात्राओं के साथ-साथ एक स्थाई जीवन भी बहुत आवश्यक है। वे अपने साथियों से सीखने की शक्ति में विश्वास करती हैं और इसलिए अपने कार्यक्षेत्र में लौटने वाली महिलाओं और शुरुआती स्तर के उद्यमियों को प्रेरित करना पसंद करती है।

बसित जमाल कॉन्फलिक्ट रिज़ॉल्यून की अवधारणाओं को समझने के लिए युवाओं को सुविधा प्रदान कर रहे हैं। वे धर्म की शक्ति को एक संघर्ष के बजाय समाधान के रूप में बदल रहें हैं। यह धर्म की शक्ति का संघर्ष ही है जिसने दुनियाभर में लाखों लोगों को मारा है। वे स्कूलों, कॉलेजों, मदरसों और मस्जिदों में इबादत करने वाले छात्रों के साथ काम करते हैं। वे दूसरे को बेहतर समझने के लिए इंटरफेथ संवाद को भी बढ़ावा देते हैं। बसित जमाल “Brotherhood of humanity” के संस्थापक हैं। उन्हें 2017 में अशोका फेलोशिप दी गई थी। वे यूनेस्को के युवाओं के शांति दूत के सह-लेखक थे। उन्हें दुनिया के सबसे बड़े इंटरफेथ संगठन “United Religions Initiative” की सदस्यता भी दी गई थी।

Vasundhra is a fifth-year student at National Law University, Delhi. She is a core member of the research being conducted by Project 39A on issues of mental health of death row prisoners. As part of this, she has travelled across the country to meet and interview death row prisoners as well as their families.

She is also part of the core team at Parichay, which is a collaborative legal aid clinic spread across law schools in the country. It aims to assist those excluded from the NRC list in filing appeals. She has also founded a queer straight alliance on campus, which facilitates important conversations surrounding gender and sexuality. Part of being a law student, she believes, is a duty to use the law as an agent for progressive change in society, focusing especially on groups on the margins of society.

Talk to her about her dog and her favourite saxophonists.

कर्णिका कोहली Scroll.in की ऑडियंस एडिटर हैं। इससे पहले इन्होंने TheWire.in के साथ काम किया है, जहां वह सोशल मीडिया डेस्ट का नेतृत्व और फंडिंग के लिए कैंपेन पर काम करती थीं, साथ ही अलग-अलग आयोजनों का संचालन करने वाली टीम का भी हिस्सा थीं। Scroll.in में इनका मुख्य कार्य इसकी ग्रोथ और ऑडियंस रीच की दिशा में है। यह विशेष रूप से ऑडियंस इंगेजमेंट, इनसाइट्स और न्यूज़मरूम रणनीतियों पर काम करती हैं। यह टाइम्स ऑफ इंडिया और न्यूज़ एक्स के साथ भी काम कर चुकी हैं।

रितु जायसवाल ने 2016 में ग्राम पंचायत राज सिंगवाहिनी से मुखिया पद के लिए भारी मतों से चुनाव जीता था। इस जीत के बाद उन्होंने शिक्षा केंद्रों की स्थापना, खुले में शौच की समस्या से निपटने के लिए शौचालयों के निर्माण, सोलर लाइट्स लगाने, पानी की उपलब्धता और सड़कों के निर्माण की दिशा में खासा काम करते हुए गॉंव में बड़ा बदलाव लाया है।
इसके साथ ही वह स्थानीय निवासियों के साथ जागरूकता को लेकर लगातार काम कर रही हैं। इस दिशा में उन्होंने मेंस्ट्रुअल हेल्थ, बायोगैस प्रबंधन और व्यावसायिक प्रशिक्षण जैसे ज़रूरी क्षेत्रों के लिए जागरूकता अभियान चलाए हैं।
रितु जायसवाल को महाराष्ट्र इंस्टीट्यूट ऑफ टेक्नोलॉजी द्वारा 7वें भारतीय छात्र संसद में “उच्च शिक्षित आदर्श युवा सरपंच (मुखिया) पुरस्कर 2016” से सम्मानित किया जा चुका है। इसके साथ ही वह भारत सरकार के पंचायती राज मंत्रालय द्वारा “सरपंच और पंचायत सचिवों के क्षमता निर्माण कार्यक्रम” में बिहार का प्रतिनिधित्व करने वाले 5 मुखियाओं में से एक थी।

वरिष्ठ पत्रकार सौरभ द्विवेदी 10 से ज़्यादा सालों से पत्रकारिता जगत से जुड़े हुए हैं और वर्तमान में द लल्लनटॉप के एडिटर के रूप में कार्यरत हैं। इससे पहले ये स्टार न्यूज़, लाइव इंडिया, नवभारत टाइम्स, दैनिक भास्कर और आज तक के साथ जुड़े रहे हैं।
द लल्लनटॉप, Youtube में पहला 10 मिलियन सब्सक्राइबर वाला लीडिंग हिंदी न्यूज़ मीडिया प्लैटफॉर्म है।

जलवायु परिवर्तन की दिशा में सरकार की जवाबदेही को लेकर मार्च 2017 में रिद्धिमा ने भारत सरकार के खिलाफ एक पेटेशन फाइल किया था। जलवायु परिवर्तन को लेकर गंभीरता दिखाते हुए वह इस साल सितंबर में ग्रेटा थनबर्ग के साथ न्यूयॉर्क में ग्लोबल क्लाइमेट स्ट्राइक में भी शामिल हुईं। इसके साथ ही पेरिस में हुए नोट्रे अफेयर ए टूस (Notre Affaire a Tous) द्वारा आयोजित अंतरराष्ट्रीय सम्मेलन का भी हिस्सा बनीं।
दुनियाभर के पंद्रह किशोर बच्चों के साथ मिलकर रिद्धिमा ने पर्यावरण पर प्रदूषण के बुरे प्रभाव के लिए 5 देशों (अर्जेंटीना, तुर्की, जर्मनी, फ्रांस और ब्राज़िल) के खिलाफ सयुंक्त राष्ट्र में अपनी शिकायत दर्ज करवाई है और वर्तमान में, वह भारत के विभिन्न शहरों में पर्यावरण संरक्षण की दिशा में जागरूकता का काम कर रही हैं।

विराली मोदी एक विकलांगता अधिकार कार्यकर्ता, प्रेरक वक्ता और मॉडल हैं, जिन्होंने 2017 में रेलवे को एक्सेसिबल बनाने के लिए #MyTrainToo नाम का अभियान चलाया है। Change.org पर उनकी याचिका पर 200k हस्ताक्षरकर्ता हैं।

विराली को बीबीसी द्वारा पहचान मिली है और BBC 100 Women द्वारा 2017 की सबसे प्रभावशाली और प्रेरणादायक महिलाओं में से एक के रूप में नामित किया गया था।

विराली 2014 मिस व्हीलचेयर इंडिया की रनरअप थीं, Being Human कैंपेन के लिए सलमान खान के साथ काम कर चुकी हैं और बॉम्बे टाइम्स फैशन वीक, एफबीबी और ज्वेल्स ऑफ इंडिया की शोस्टॉपर रही हैं।

अपार गुप्ता एक वकील और इंटरनेट फ्रीडम फाउंडेशन के एक्ज़ेक्यूटिव डायरेक्टर हैं। इंटरनेट फ्रीडम फाउंडेशन एक भारतीय डिजिटल संगठन है, जो यह सुनिश्चित करता है कि प्रौद्योगिकी हमारे मौलिक अधिकारों का सम्मान करे।

2015 से, वह जनहित के मुद्दों पर बड़े पैमाने पर काम कर रहे हैं, जिसमें रणनीतिक मुकदमेबाजी और अभियानों का आयोजन करना   शामिल है।
अदालत में, एक वकील के तौर पर उनके कार्यों में डिजिटल अधिकारों के केस प्रमुख होते हैं, जिनमें प्राइवेसी और सेंसरशिप के मामले शामिल हैं।

वे धारा 66A, निजता के अधिकार और आधार मामले में जन हित याचिकाओं का प्रतिनिधित्व करने वाली प्रमुख संवैधानिक चुनौतियों का एक हिस्सा है।
अदालत के काम से परे उन्होंने कई कार्यकर्ताओं के साथ बड़े पैमाने पर काम किये हैं और नेट न्यूट्रैलिटी SaveTheInternet.in,मानहानि कानून SpeechBill.in और गोपनीयता की रक्षा करने वाले SaveOurPrivacy.in जैसे अभियानों को स्थापित किया है।
अपार देश के संविधान की रक्षा करने और डिजिटल बुराईयों के खिलाफ लड़ाई के लिए प्रतिबद्ध हैं।

अशोक मलिक भारत के राष्ट्रपति के पूर्व प्रेस सचिव रह चुके हैं। इन्होंने 1991 में कोलकाता में टेलीग्राफ अखबार के साथ अपने करियर की शुरुआत की थी और आगे चलकर टाइम्स ऑफ इंडिया, इंडिया टुडे और इंडियन एक्सप्रेस सहित कई प्रमुख प्रकाशनों के लिए काम किया।
2006 में, इन्होंने एक स्वतंत्र स्तंभकार के रूप में अपने करियर की शुरुआत की और द पायनियर और तहलका में परामर्श संपादक के रूप में विभिन्न बिंदुओं पर सेवा देते रहें।
2015 में इन्होंने ऑब्जर्वर रिसर्च फाउंडेशन ज्वाइन किया। इन्हें इंडियन इंस्टीट्यूट ऑफ कॉर्पोरेट अफेयर्स के बोर्ड ऑफ गवर्नर्स के रूप में नियुक्त किया गया। यह राजघाट स्मारक समिति के भी सदस्य हैं, जो महात्मा गॉंधी को समर्पित स्मारकों की देखरेख करता है। 2016 में, इन्हें भारत के चौथे सर्वोच्च नागरिक सम्मान पद्म श्री से सम्मानित भी किया जा चुका है।

आशीष बिरूली सामाजिक कार्यकर्ता, स्वतंत्र पत्रकार, Adivasi Lives Matter के कंटेंट क्रिएटर और Youth Ki Awaaz के पावरफुल यूज़र हैं। आदिवासी समुदाय से ताल्लुक रखने वाले आशीष झारखंड के जादूगोड़ा के रहने वाले हैं। बतौर फोटो जर्नलिस्ट इन्होंने जदुगोरा में अपने घर से महज़ 500 मीटर की दूरी पर स्थित यूरेनियम खदानों के कारण हुए नुकसान का खुलासा किया था।
जदुगोरा में रेडिएशन के प्रभाव पर इनके काम को 2013 में रियो डी जनेरियो में हुए तीसरे और 2019 में ब्राज़िल में हुए नौवें इंटरनैशनल यूरेनियम फिल्म फेस्टिवल में फीचर किया गया था। इसके साथ ही 2015 में क्यूबेक (कनाडा), हिरोशिमा और 2017 में ओसाका में हुए विश्व यूरेनियम संगोष्ठी में भी इनके काम को शामिल किया गया था।

गुलेश ने 9वीं कक्षा तक पढाई की और 17 साल की उम्र में इनकी शादी हो गई। एक गृहिणी के रूप में वे एक खुशहाल ज़िंदगी बिता रहीं थीं लेकिन सन 2003 में एक एक्सीडेंट में पति की मृत्यु के बाद उनके लिए आर्थिक रूप से आत्मनिर्भर होना ज़रूरी हो गया।
इसकी शुरुआत उन्होंने लोगों के घर में खाना बनाने से लेकर, सब्ज़ी बेचने, सड़क किनारे पकोड़े तलने जैसे कामों से की लेकिन यह ज़्यादा दिन तक चल नहीं पाया। करीब 3-4 साल पहले उन्होंने एक उबर ड्राइवर के तौर पर अपने सफर की शुरुआत की। आज वह आत्मनिर्भर हैं और अपने बेटे को अच्छी शिक्षा मुहैया करा रहीं हैं।

Shikha Mandi is a 26-year-old belonging to the Santhal tribe – the third largest tribe in India. She is India’s first RJ who hosts an entire programme in Santhali. Her two-hour radio show Johar Jhargram on Radio Milan has become widely popular in the past year. It covers a wide range of local issues, including Adivasi culture, festivals, and the challenges faced by tribals.

Supriya Paul is the co-founder of Josh Talks, an impact media platform headquartered in Gurgaon, Haryana. Using the power of storytelling, Josh Talks is on a mission to create an ecosystem to help the youth go from where they are to where they want to be.

Josh Talks is proactively doing so by providing exposure to the youth by giving them access to role models and equipping them with skill sets so they can be empowered to take control of their lives. On 25th January 2019, Josh Talks was awarded the National Media Award by Honourable President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind and was named in a list of “Top 50 Startups of India” for 2017 by Economic Times.

Supriya is listed in the Forbes magazine “Asia 30 Under 30” list for 2018 and received the SheThePeople Digital Women Award’17 for Best Content Creation.

Dr Aditi Kaul is the Head of the Arts-Based Therapy Program with Fortis Healthcare under the National Mental Health Program. She is a grade 5 UNESCO and CID certified arts-based therapist who has run the programme pan Fortis for the last 7 years which includes working with persons diagnosed with Trauma, anxiety, depressive disorders, disorders of childhood, adolescents as well as stressors of day to day life using psychotherapeutic techniques including visual art, movement, writing and storytelling.

She has done over 500 preventive mental health workshops with schools colleges and NGOs across the city and has been teaching an “Expressive Arts in clinical practice course” for the last 6 years in collaboration with UNESCO and the Council of International Dance, amongst other short term courses.

Saurabh Dwivedi is a senior journalist with over 10 years of experience. Currently the Editor of The Lallantop, he has previously worked with Star News, Live India, Navbharat Times, Dainik Bhaskar and Aaj Tak.

The Lallantop is India’s leading digital first Hindi news media platform, with over 10 million subscribers on YouTube.

Mohammad Shams Aalam Shaikh is an international Para Swimmer. He won Bronze at the 2016 Can-Am Para Swimming Championships held in Gatineau, Quebec in the men’s 100m Breaststroke SB4 category and also represented India at the 2018 Asian Para Games in Jakarta, Indonesia. Shams currently holds the world record for longest open sea swimming by a paraplegic. He has received several accolades, including the Bihar Khel Ratna Award in 2018 and Jewel of Nation Award 2017

Shubham Gupta is an award-winning Mobile Journalist. He is the Head of Storytelling at People Like Us Create. Shubham has produced more than 2000 stories and his stories have also been shared by publications like Hindustan Times and Al Jazeera.

Tamseel Hussain is the Founder of People Like Us Create. He is a mobile storyteller & social media expert. With over a decade of experience, he has previously worked with organisations like Change.org, Oxfam, Greenpeace, civil society groups, media houses, tech-startups, and politicians. Tamseel helps build award-winning platforms, citizen-led campaigns, youth-focused public engagement, placemaking to building an ecosystem for community first storytelling in India, the middle east and Southeast Asian countries.

He also co-founded letmebreathe.in – India’s largest pollution storytelling platform, it now has more than 300 storytellers from 11 Indian cities. They host 25 decision-makers via city-specific sessions and their partners include Twitter India and UN Environment amongst others.

Shubham Gupta is an award-winning Mobile Journalist. He is the Head of Storytelling at People Like Us Create. Shubham has produced more than 2000 stories and his stories have also been shared by publications like Hindustan Times and Al Jazeera. 

Mary Sebastian is a justice professional working for the elimination of violence against women and children with special focus on victims of sex trafficking in the State of Maharashtra. Mary briefly worked in the corporate law field before joining the development sector. She is currently working with a global anti-trafficking organization, International Justice Mission, where she assists law enforcement officials in the rescue of survivors of commercial sexual exploitation and provides legal representation through court proceedings. Mary supports systemic interventions and advocacy efforts on the survivor justice-related issues at the state government level and has organized a national level consultation on the arrest of demand for commercial sexual exploitation. She is currently undertaking a research study with the Maharashtra State Child Rights Protection Commission to analyse the functioning of childcare agencies under the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection) Act, 2015 in six districts in Maharashtra. Mary also works towards generating awareness and sensitivity on the issue of trafficking perspectives through thought leadership initiatives.

Shantanu currently leads the Venture team at Ashoka Innovators for the Public, South Asia. Responsible for identifying and engaging the worlds largest and most powerful network of Social Entrepreneurs, Shantanu has worked with hundreds of innovators to enable powerful ideas to reach a systems-level change. Shantanu was previously an IDEX Global Social Enterprise Fellow, where he subsequently also a representative on their board of advisors. Prior to his time at Ashoka, Shantanu has worked extensively in the fields of youth mental health in Australia, youth civic participation and youth participation in diplomacy for national and international organisations, such as the Asia-Europe Foundation. Shantanu has a keen interest in reading, writing and the opportunity to engage with new groups of people.

Vishak G Iyer, a 2011-Batch IAS officer, is currently the Special Secretary to the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh.
Prior to this, he was the District Magistrate and Collector of Chitrakoot, Uttar Pradesh.

Hailing from Idukki, Kerala, Vishak has previously held the post of District Magistrate & Collector of Bhadohi, Hamirpur and Chief Development Officer of Meerut, and Varanasi.

An alumnus of MG University College of Engineering, Thodupuzha and a Chevening Fellow from Said Business School, University of Oxford, he has pursued B.Tech in Electronics & Communication Engineering and MA in Public Policy.

Vishak was instrumental in reviving the river Mandakini with community participation, during his stint as District Magistrate Chitrakoot. Chitrakoot district received ‘National Water Awards-2019’ under the category ‘River rejuvenation’ for the effort.

अमन मॉडर्न स्कूल में कक्षा 11 के छात्र हैं। जलवायु कार्यकर्ता ग्रेटा थनबर्ग से प्रेरित होकर, 16 वर्षीय अमन शर्मा ने इसी साल मई में Change.org पर एक पेटीशन दायर करते हुए यह मांग उठाई कि भारत 2030 तक नेट ज़ीरो-कार्बन उत्सर्जन तक पहुंच जाए, 2020 तक सभी जीवाश्म-ईंधन के विस्तार को रोके तथा अनावश्यक शहरी परियोजनाओं के लिए वनों की कटाई को रोके।
अमन ने फ्राइडे फॉर फ्यूचर के दिल्ली चैप्टर द्वारा किए गए छात्र विरोध प्रदर्शन में भी बड़ी भूमिका निभाई है।

27 वर्षीय अभिनव अग्रवाल, एक एथ्नोम्यूज़िकोलॉजिस्ट (विभिन्न संस्कृतियों के संगीत के जानकार), संगीतकार और अपनी स्वयं सेवी संस्था अनहद फाउंडेशन के संस्थापक और निदेशक हैं।

अभिनव, भारत में घटते लोक संगीत को पुनर्जीवित करने की दिशा में काम कर रहे हैं। उन्होंने इस कला से जुड़े लोगों की आजीविका, गौरव और गरिमा पैदा करने वाले आत्मनिर्भर मॉडल बनाए हैं, ताकि लोक संगीतकारों के सम्मान,पहचान और आत्मविश्वास के निर्माण के माध्यम से सांस्कृतिक लोक संगीत के लिए मांग और मूल्य पैदा हो सकें।
वे समानांतर में एक आत्मनिर्भर और आर्थिक वातावरण बनाने में प्रयासरत हैं, जहां एक कलाकार बिना एक मध्यस्थ के सीधे अपनी प्रस्तुतियों को जनता तक पहुंचा सकता है।

ऐसा करने में, अभिनव एक लोक संगीत उद्योग बनाने में मदद कर रहे हैं जो कला का एक स्थायी रूप है और जिसका नेतृत्व खुद संगीतकारों के हाथों में है।
अभिनव एक अशोक फैलो भी हैं जिन्हें फोर्ब्स की एशियाई सूची के टॉप-30 में फीचर किया गया है। इन्हें करमवीर पुरस्कार से भी सम्मानित किया गया है।

श्री कैलाश सत्यार्थी अंतरराष्ट्रीय स्तर पर प्रतिष्ठित और सक्रिय बाल अधिकार कार्यकर्ता हैं, जो पिछले चार दशकों से बच्चों के अधिकारों के लिए अथक प्रयास कर रहे हैं। उनके कार्य और प्रयास पूरी दुनिया भर के 140 देशों में फैले हैं, जो बच्चों को गुलामी, तस्करी, बंधुआ मज़दूरी, यौन शोषण और हिंसा के सभी रूपों से बचाने के लिए प्रयासरत हैं। विश्व भर में फैले बाल शोषण के मुद्दे तथा बाल सुरक्षा, स्वास्थ और शिक्षा के अधिकारों को वे वैश्विक और राष्ट्रीय विकास के एजेंडा में शामिल करने में अहम भूमिका निभाते रहे हैं।

दुनिया भर में कई वंचित एवं शोषित बच्चों के अधिकारों को बहाल करने के उनके अविश्वसनीय प्रयासों को देखकर वर्ष 2014 में उन्हें नोबेल शांति पुरस्कार से सम्मानित किया गया था।

Samir Saran is the President of Observer Research Foundation (ORF), one of Asia’s most influential think tanks. Working with the Board, he provides strategic direction and leadership to ORF’s multiple centres on fund raising, research projects, platform design and outreach initiatives including stakeholder engagement.

He curates the Raisina Dialogue, India’s annual flagship platform on geopolitics and geo-economics, and chairs CyFy, India’s annual conference on cyber security and internet governance.

Samir is also a Commissioner of The Global Commission on the Stability of Cyberspace, member of the South Asia advisory board of the World Economic Forum, and a part of its Global Future Council on Cybersecurity. Along with that, he is the Director of the Centre for Peace and Security at the Sardar Patel Police University, Jodhpur, India.

Samir writes frequently on issues of global governance, climate change, energy policy, global development architecture, artificial intelligence, cyber security, internet governance, and India’s foreign policy. He has authored four books, several academic papers, and is featured regularly in Indian and international print and broadcast media.

Virali Modi is a disability rights activist, motivational speaker, and model who has spearheaded a campaign around accessibility – #MyTrainToo for accessible railways, which she started in 2017. Her petition on change.org has over 200k signatories.

She has been recognized by the BBC and was named as one of the most influential and inspirational women of 2017 by BBC 100 Women.

Virali was Miss Wheelchair India runner up 2014, has worked alongside Salman Khan for the Being Human Campaign, and has been the showstopper for Bombay Times Fashion Week, FBB, and Jewels Of India.

As a quintessential Bangalorean, the initial part of Vaidehi’s career involved paying her dues to the IT industry as a Software Engineer, both in India, and for a year, overseas. On returning from the United States, she waved farewell to her corporate job and took off to the mountains. She also volunteered as a teacher in an eco-school called SECMOL in Ladakh. Next stop, was Vietnam, where she volunteered yet again, as an English teacher in an NGO that rehabilitates tribals in the mountains of Sapa and also had a brief stint as a writer for ‘Humans Of Bombay’, and its sister page ‘We The People’. Wordplay has travelled with her throughout her journey, and she found that Twitter was a convenient medium to journal her thoughts and ideas. Vaidehi has over 5000 puns on her Twitter handle till date, and around 12.5K wordplay aficionados who follow her. It also landed her at her current job as the Social Media Content Lead at Dunzo – a hyperlocal delivery app.

Ritu Jaiswal contested and won the election for the position of Mukhiya from Gram Panchayat Raj Singwahini in 2016 by a huge margin. Since then, she has completely transformed the village by establishing education centres, building toilets to tackle open defecation, installing solar lights and building water capacity and building roads. She continues to work with the residents and runs awareness campaigns around menstrual health, biogas management and vocational training. Ms Jaiswal was conferred with the “Uchh Shikshit Adarsh Yuva Sarpanch (Mukhiya) Puraskaar 2016” at the 7th Bharatiya Chhatra Sansad by the Maharashtra Institute of Technology, and was among the 5 Mukhiyas selected to represent Bihar for the “Capacity Building Program for Sarpanch & Panchayat Secretaries” by The Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Government of India.

In March 2017, Ridhima filed a petition against the Government of India in the National Green Tribunal (NGT), asserting that the Indian government has failed to fulfil its duties towards the Indian people in mitigating climate change. In September, she joined Greta Thunberg at the Global Climate Strike in New York and also the International conference organized by Notre Affaire a Tous in Paris.

Along with fifteen teenagers from across the world, Ridhima has filed a complaint against five countries (Argentina, Turkey, Germany, France and Brazil) in the UN for not doing enough to address climate change.

Presently, she is spreading awareness in different cities of India to inspire others to protect the environment.

Aman is a class 11 student at Modern School, Vasant Vihar, N- Delhi. Inspired by his love for nature & the environment, 16-year-old Aman Sharma launched a petition on Change.org in May 2019 asking the government to declare a National climate emergency, which has reached 330,000 signatures now. It urges India to reach net zero-carbon emissions by 2030, stop all fossil-fuel expansion by 2020, stop deforestation for needless urban projects and provide its citizens the right to clean air and water.

Aman represented India at the first-ever youth and climate summit at Oslo Pax, Norway by the Nobel Peace Prize Center in September 2019 and his petition was later presented at the UN youth and climate summit in New York as a part of ‘All in for Climate Action’ campaign which has 1.6 million signatures and 90 countries as part of it. He is a part of and striker with Fridays for Future India and avid birdwatcher, conservationist and wildlife photographer.

Ashok Malik is the former Press Secretary for the President of India. He began his career in the Telegraph newspaper in Kolkata in 1991 and subsequently worked for many leading publications, including The Times of India, India Today and Indian Express. In 2006, he embarked on a career as a self-employed columnist, serving at different points as a consulting editor to the Pioneer and Tehelka. In 2015 he joined the Observer Research Foundation. He has been appointed to the Board of Governors of the Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs, a think-tank focused on corporate social responsibility. He is a Member of the Rajghat Memorial Committee, which oversees the Memorial dedicated to Mahatma Gandhi. In 2016, he was awarded the Padma Shri, India’s fourth-highest civilian honour.

Karnika Kohli is the audience editor at Scroll.in. She was previously with TheWire.in, where she led the social media desk, worked on campaigns to raise funding and was part of the team that organised events. Her main focus is on amplifying the reach of Scroll.in’s work and building an engaged audience by bringing data, insights and strategies to the newsroom. She has also worked with the Times of India and NewsX.

Neha Arora is the founder of Planet Abled, which provides accessible travel solutions and leisure excursions for people with various disabilities and the elderly. Planet Abled was awarded as one of the best innovative practices by Zero Project Conference at United Nations Vienna. Planet Abled has also been the recipient of India Responsible Tourism Award by Outlook Traveler and World Travel Market, London – Best Innovation in Travel & Overall Winner and NCPEDP – Mphasis Universal Design Award. This year, Planet Abled was also the recipient of the National Award for the most unique and innovative tourism product by the Ministry of Tourism Government of India.

Planet Abled has also represented India as a major accessible travel destination on global platform like ITB Berlin, Global Sustainable Tourism Council Conference in Thailand and International Congress on Tourism and Technology in Diversity in Malaga, Spain.

Neha is a Global Good Fund Fellow and India Inclusion fellow and a graduate of Nasdaq Entrepreneurial centre MMI program, for her work at Planet Abled. Neha also conducts sessions and workshops in corporates, universities, incubators and various forums for amalgamation of people with disabilities in mainstream via the medium of travel.

Mir is an officer of the 2011 batch of the Indian Administrative Service (IAS), serving in the state of Kerala.

He was posted as District Collector of Kannur in August 2016. As District Collector, he was the prime mover behind the transformation of Kannur into India’s first plastic/disposable-free district.

His most recent initiative is a timely project titled ‘Satyameva Jayate’ (Truth Alone Triumphs) that trains teachers and students to identify, vet and respond to misinformation and fake news online. The programme was implemented in over 200 schools in Kannur, covering over 80,000 children making it the first of its kind in the country. His work was widely covered by the national media in India and international networks in Britain, China & Japan.

Under his leadership, Kannur received five Kerala e-Governance Awards, including best e-Governed district from the Chief Minister of Kerala in January 2019.

He has led large projects that have singularly focused on creating value and convenience for citizens. The core driving force of his work has been efficiently bringing together stakeholders from the government, private sector and members of society, in the interest of achieving important social goals.

After a successful three year stint as Kannur Collector, he recently took charge as Director, Kerala State Suchitwa Mission that oversees the implementation of waste management schemes across the state

Malini has 15 years of experience across 3 industries – IT, media and travel. She is a voice-over artist and the Founder/CEO of F5 Escapes, an experiential travel company, with a vision to redefine the way women travel India. She is not only passionate about working towards and promoting India as a safe destination for women but also a firm believer in sustainable living and travel. She believes in the power of peer learning and hence loves motivating women returning to the workplace and early-stage entrepreneurs. 

Gulesh studied till ninth grade and was married off at 17. She was content being a homemaker until one day when in 2003 her husband was killed in an accident and it became absolutely necessary for her to become financially independent. She started with doing a few odd jobs like cooking at people’s houses, selling vegetables, frying pakoras at a roadside stall, etc., but it wasn’t sustainable. About 3-4 years ago, she started her journey as an Uber driver. Today, she is financially independent and supporting her son’s education.

Abhinav Agrawal, 27, an ethnomusicologist, musician and social entrepreneur is also the Founder Director of the Non-Profit Organisation, Anahad Foundation. Abhinav is working towards creating and reviving the diminishing folk music industry in India by creating self-reliant models that generate livelihoods, pride and dignity for stakeholders connected to this art form.

He is generating demand and value for cultural folk music through building respect, recognition, identity and self-confidence of folk musicians, and in parallel creating a self-sustainable economic environment where an artist can distribute their productions directly to the public without an intermediary. In doing so, Abhinav is helping create a Folk Music industry that is a sustainable art form and an industry that is musician-led.

Abhinav is also an Ashoka Fellow, and has been featured under Forbes 30 under 30 Asia list. He has also been awarded with the Karamveer Award.

Anshul is a social entrepreneur and a young media influencer, who founded Youth Ki Awaaz (YKA), India’s
largest social justice media platform for young people to address and engage on critical issues, at the age of
17.

Over the last 11 years, Anshul has gained extensive experience in citizen-powered media, and participatory movement building, with YKA stories often starting nationwide movements creating impact.

An Ashoka Fellow, INK Fellow and Young Innovator (United Nations ITU), Forbes 30 Under 30, Anshul has helped several high-impact organisations engage young people in a variety of important conversations, from politics and gender to art and culture.

He is also on the Civil Society Advisory Group of UN Women for India and has previously served on the board of Jhatkaa, a campaigning organisation committed to building grassroots citizen power across India, and Collectively, a World Economic Forum and Unilever collaborative non-profit to build a sustainable future.

Basit Jamal is facilitating young people to understand the concepts of conflict resolution. He is repurposing the power of religion to be a solution rather than a roadblock to conflicts which has already seen millions die the world over. He works with students from schools, colleges, madrasas and worshippers in the mosques. He also promotes interfaith dialogue to better understand the other. Basit Jamal is the founder of “Brotherhood of humanity”. He was given Ashoka Fellowship in 2017. He was a co-author of UNESCO’s youth waging peace manual. He was also given membership of the worlds biggest interfaith organization “United Religions Initiative”.

Ashish Birulee is an activist, independent journalist, content creator for Adivasi Lives Matter and power user on Youth Ki Awaaz. He belongs to the Ho Adivasi community and is from Jadugoda in Jharkhand. As a photojournalist has has worked to disclose damages caused by the uranium mines located just 500 meter from his home in Jadugoda. His work on the impact of radiation in Jadugoda has been featured at the 3rd and 9th International Uranium Film Festival in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil 2013 and 2019, as well as the World Uranium Symposium in Quebec City, Canada 2015, Hiroshima 2015 and Osaka 2017.

Apar Gupta is a lawyer and the Executive Director of the Internet Freedom Foundation – an Indian digital liberties organisation that seeks to ensure that technology respects fundamental rights.
Since 2015, he has been working extensively on public interest issues which include strategic litigation and organisation of campaigns and collectives. In courts, his work as a lawyer includes key digital rights cases on privacy and censorship.
He is a part of key constitutional challenges on Section 66A, the Right to Privacy and Aadhaar representing public interest litigants. Beyond court work he has worked extensively with activists and set up digital campaigns such as those on Net Neutrality (SaveTheInternet.in), fight against defamation laws (SpeechBill.in) and safeguard privacy (SaveOurPrivacy.in). Apar is committed to protect the constitution and fight a digital dystopia.

Mr. Kailash Satyarthi is an internationally acclaimed child rights activist who has been a tireless advocate of children’s rights for four decades now.

His interventions are spread across over 140 countries in the world in an endeavour to protect children from slavery, trafficking, forced labour, sexual abuse and all forms of violence. He has been instrumental in bringing the issues of children in the global and national development agendas besides leading worldwide movements against child exploitation and upholding the rights of children for peace, safety, health, wellbeing and education.

His unrelenting efforts for restoring the rights of the most marginalized and exploited children in the world won him the Nobel Peace Prize in the year 2014.