‘Karwaan’: A Student-Led Initiative To Promote Love For Our Heritage

The whole team of Karwaan. A great initiative by DU Students.

According to UNESCO, “Heritage is our legacy from the past, what we live with today, and what we pass on to future generations. Our cultural and natural heritage are both irreplaceable sources of life and inspiration.”

Karwaan team leaders with Delhi- based Historian : Sohail Hashmi

A group of students from Delhi University started a commendable initiative called ‘Karwaan-The Heritage Exploration Initiative’. Karwaan is a student-led initiative started by young writer Eshan Sharma with his friends Nishant Singh, Aditya Singh, Rahul Kumar, Mansi Rautela, Nandesh Yadav, and Abhigyaa Mittal who are pursuing their under-graduation in history from Delhi University.

It was started with the sole purpose of promoting heritage among students through specially curated heritage walks and ‘Kissagoi– Conversation Series’ with renowned scholars. Recently, famous journalist Rajdeep Sardesai also wished the team of Karwaan the best of luck!

The need of the hour is to preserve and promote our heritage sites. They have a lot of knowledge and economic potential. We are trying to reach out to as many students as possible to make them aware of our tangible and intangible heritage. We are trying to present the hidden Delhi,” said Eshan.

Discussions over antiquity straight from the great historian Hashmi Sahaab.

“We should protect our heritage because it is a great source of inspiration for our generation and many generations to come,” said Nishant.

Over 100 students from various colleges of Delhi had registered for the Kissagoi event which took place on October 19 with famous Historian Sohail Hashmi. Karwaan organised their first heritage walk at Tughlaqabad Fort with Sohail Hashmi in September.

“The need to promote heritage among students is the need to have a heritage in future. Students are the future.” said Aditya.

DU Students engaged in learning about the bygone days.

A review on their Facebook page reads, “Karwaan is a good Initiative by Eshan. He and his team really work hard to make the event a successful one. I really appreciate his initiative for organising such beautiful heritage walks with famous Historians.”

Curiosity to know so much about the past.

According to Eshan, “We plan to organise heritage walks and conversation series every month for students and the general public.”

If you wish to attend wonderful events by Karwaan, you can visit their Facebook page for more information.

Featured Image Provided By The Author.