This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by keertika tiwari. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

As A Student In Ayodhya, This Is What I Feel About The Ram Mandir Issue

More from keertika tiwari

I am one of many normal young people living in Ayodhya, whose knowledge is growing about the debate over the Ram Mandir case.

From the day I first heard of this, and then hearing what my grandparents and parents went through, and then having my own brush with it. When I was in school a few years back, the Hindu-Muslim dispute was growing enormously, and one day, we just had to leave school in the middle of our classes and run home. The only fear I had at the time was, when will everyone allow me to go back to school and meet my Muslim friends? All this while, I read a chapter from my textbook about how as Hitler rose in power, those he subjugated weren’t even allowed to talk in their mother tongue!

As an innocent child, I wanted to know the person who was leading the dispute and wanted to ask him why he was doing this to us… we did nothing wrong to him. I wanted to give him all my favourite toys and request him to leave us at that!

But as time goes by, I understand that it’s not about one person’s ego as much as it about playing with the emotions of people. It is just about a voting bank, and a shield which helps them make their money white.

Let me describe why I am referring to this case as a shield. For example, when initiatives like demonetisation happen, party leaders will say something on the lines of “Our soldiers are dying for the country and you can’t stand in a queue for a few hours to help your country?” How it beautifully ruined our economics, all of you can see.

The same thing happens in the Ram Mandir case as well. We are told, “Your grandparents’ emotions are so deeply attached to this temple, and you can’t give up one valuable vote for them?” I actually don’t know why everyone thinks that every passing government is going to make the mandir (temple).

I belong to the Hindu religion and of course, I would want the possible birthplace of Rama to be protected, but I also want that the followers of Islam have equal access to their place of worship.

But more than this, what I realise is that if you are a pure-hearted person, you can feel God’s blessings on you anywhere, anytime, and at any place. There is definitely a power which is guiding us to do the right things.

While I understand your love towards that particular piece of land, I also think that if you know the teachings of both the Ramayana and the Qur’an, they teach us to respect every other person’s emotions just as you respect yours. These divisions of dharma exists to give you the direction towards becoming a better human being, not for using it for selfish gains.

Us students, we just want peace. A healthy environment and a good education which helps us to grow into a human not a selfish animal. We want everyone to debate and fight on who can save our rapidly degrading environment better, not a piece of land.

It is my request to our wise, intelligent and respected political parties, their leaders and their followers: please use your energy where it is needed. We are your children! Help yourself in such a way that we respect you for your work and are not forced to abuse you for your nonsense.

The youth want peace, not this dispute. Whatever the judgment of the case is, please respect it and show your love towards your country. Be real humans. Remember that the boundaries of dharma are only for improving you towards a higher state of living, as everybody has the same blood. When God himself didn’t discriminate, how dare you do this?

Featured image for representative purpose only.
Featured image source: Arijit Sen for Hindustan Times via Getty Images.

More from keertika tiwari

By Neha Perween Yasir Mumtaz Ansari

By Badshah Prince Patel

By pratyush prashant