A Day In The ‘Spice Bageecha’: An Initiative To Support Organic, Sustainable Produce

Earth Day Network India was the first organisation to launch a ‘Go Organic’ campaign in Kolkata in 2013.  The first event was a dinner crafted with organic ingredients by Specialty Chef Shaun Kenworthy who continues to be our culinary expert. Hoteliers were provided an opportunity to connect with Nora Pouillon, owner of the famous organic food restaurant ‘Nora’s’ in Washington, DC., and a board member of Earth Day Network.

A series of programs have continued from the first event and these include a ‘Go Organic Garden Party’ to commemorate Women’s Month. Hosted in a beautiful private garden, the afternoon saw displays of organic products, lectures, a ‘Kabaad se Jugaad’ workshop, and a concert.

We have also held organic brunches and fashion shows of clothes made from organic cotton, upcycled or environmentally-friendly textiles in major hotels and restaurants. Our ‘Green Puja Bazaar’ introduced organic Mishti (Indian sweets) for the first time in Kolkata.

The 4th edition of the ‘Spice Bageecha’ where producers are provided an opportunity to sell their products will take place on November 17, 2019.  As always, the venue is a beautiful herb garden within Kolkata that is an oasis of nature in the city.

On display will be organic, natural and recycled products such as clothes, accessories, cold-pressed oils, dairy products, groceries, food made using organic ingredients, handcrafted items and cosmetics, and so much more.  It will include a performance by a very popular group and ladies walking the grass lawn ramp wearing organic and natural items.

The success of these initiatives has resulted in an increase in demand for organic products, which in turn has helped lower the price of items.  To help address the supply side, Earth Day Network India recently launched an initiative #FarmersForEarth through which we help farmers make a shift to sustainable, green agriculture.

Go Organic has gone beyond with an organic banquet of traditional royal dishes of Gwalior.  This was held at the 17th century Deo Bagh with its beautiful gardens and stunning architecture.