Opinion: Maharashtra’s Political Drama Is Nothing But An Abuse Of The Constitution

There is no need for any distinguished talent to understand that the Governor of Maharashtra has behaved partisanly with the intention of providing benefits to the BJP. This is not the first time that the central government has abused the post of governor politically.

Foolish arrangements have been established in many places in the Constitution of India. One of those foolish arrangements is the post of governor. The person sitting on the post of governor has the royal luxury, has a free luxurious house, many amenities and other rights.

To be appointed to the post of Governor, the only requirement is that the Prime Minister of India be benevolent. There is no need to win any election nor pass any exam to become a governor. And then a person can hold the post of Governor as long as the Prime Minister is benevolent on him.

In such a situation, a governor should not behave in a biased manner in the interest of the ruling party at the centre. Only an idealist can behave like this. Any normal person holding the post of Governor will generally behave in a partisan manner in the interest of the ruling party of the centre. And this is what we have seen repeatedly since independence.

I think there should be a provision in the Constitution of India that the Chief Justice of the High Court prescribed for a state be the ex-officio Governor of that state. The Chief Justice of the High Court will also have an understanding of the Constitution and does not need the grace of the Prime Minister to continue in his office.

Therefore, he will not be forced to behave in a biased manner in the interest of the ruling party at the center. On top of this, the salary of the Governor will also save the expenses incurred on the accommodation. The task of administering the oath of office to the Chief Justice and other judges of a High Court can be entrusted to the President.