We Must Urgently Address Delhi’s Environmental Emergency

The alarming increase in air pollution in Delhi has been affecting the residents of the state adversely. From difficulties in breathing to itching throat, and watery eyes have left the people in an awful situation. Every year after Diwali, the state witnesses a horrifying level of air pollution. But this year, we witnessed a deteriorating Air Quality Index (AQI), exceeding 900 which falls under the ‘hazardous’ category.

People were, and continue, to be seen buying masks, using air filters, chimneys, staying indoors, etc, to protect themselves from the situation. The prevailing of the ‘Odd-Even‘ rule imposed by the Delhi government will be somehow helpful. To address this severe level of air pollution, people need to contribute a little effort from their side too.

Taking some prevention measures, starting by limiting the use of their vehicles, to wearing anti-pollution masks, by educating their children about the current situation, can be a good start. Farmers must be advised to stop the burning of crops. Large industries and factories should use chimneys with filters to combat the emission of harmful pollutants.

The alarming pollution level in Delhi is a lesson for the entire country. People all over must educate themselves about the future risks of violating environmental rules, and therefore, must prepare themselves accordingly by adopting some eco-friendly measures.