Amazon Finally Removes ‘Fake Blood Pills For Women To Prove Their Virginity’, From Its Website

This article is a follow-up story to an article I had written on YKA last week, calling out Amazon for selling ‘fake blood’ pills on its website. A woman can insert this pill into her vagina on her wedding night to let the fake blood flow during sexual intercourse; it is meant to satisfy the male ego of her husband, which is based on a loosely crafted myth.

The mere idea of such a pill being sold on an e-commerce platform was an indicator of how the regressive thought processes of a patriarchal society keep on perpetuating itself in Digital India.

The article was received very well by the netizens, and expectedly, it created an uproar on social media. The netizens came together and called out Amazon for selling such an appalling, patriarchal product on its platform.

I tweeted the article to Amazon, and they responded that the product in question had been removed from their site.

While Amazon had removed the product being sold by I virgin, another seller ‘Virginia Care’ was still selling the product. I flagged the same to Amazon, and now, they have made both the products unavailable on their website.

It was important to write this article to acknowledge the fact that by removing the product, Amazon has given preference to a progressive thought process expressed by the netizens, over a regressive patriarchal thought process, which the capitalist market was taking advantage of.

The other reason for writing this article is to thank all the readers who brought this impact as it was their opinion on the issue, which made Amazon change its course. Finally, a big thanks to Youth Ki Awaaz for publishing the article and sharing it with its huge and amazing YKA community of readers and writers. This little victory for a more progressive society belongs to you all.