Are We Equipped To Help And Care For People With Mental Health Issues?

Just two days ago, I was reading an article written by a woman about the trauma she had faced during her childhood at the hands of her mother who was suffering from OCD. She also wrote about how the events of her childhood led her to suffer from PTSD and how it took a toll on her life.

In our society, mental health issues have always been treated as a taboo, and the people suffering from them are subjected to inhuman treatment and hostility.

That article compelled me to ponder about how clueless I was before reading that article about mental health issues and how to help people who are suffering from them. The most disturbing thought that later came to my mind was that I am certainly not the only person who has no idea about the various types of mental disorders and conditions. The reason is the lack of education about this in our society; no chapter ever in any of our school textbooks was dedicated to this cause. I guess this is also the reason why mental health issues have always been treated as a taboo, and the people suffering from them are subjected to inhuman treatment and hostility.

Now, when I have begun thinking deeply about it, I realize that I have always had anxiety issues since the time I was a teenager. The reason behind that is that I am quite an emotionally sensitive person, and the kind of environment I grew up in and the kind of experiences I had with people around, made a huge impact on the way I perceive the world and the way I deal with situations. But yes, I have learnt to tide over unfavourable conditions by always having an optimistic outlook about the world and people. Moreover, I try not to dwell over the past, nor do I worry about the future. Whenever I get into the anxious mode, I try to remind myself of all the good things I have in my life at present.

Through this article, I would like to urge the people out there to educate themselves about mental health and the various types of mental disorders—so that we can care for ourselves and our loved ones in the most effective way.