How The Festival Of Lights Brings In Its Wake The Festival Of Darkness

Diwali is a symbol of happiness, co-operation, friendship and faith among all citizens of India. Diyas are marks of spreading light into one’s life, while sweet distribution marks a sense of brotherhood. But is this what we really practice?

Diwali Pollution

On this auspicious day, a wave of happiness should run among all without age, caste and religion discrimination. In a true sense, we have forgotten the meaning of happiness and faith. We believe in virtual happiness which is a short term, selfish happiness. People try to search and spread light with crackers, bombs, artificial LED’s, wine, gambling and much more. We enhance jealousy, anger, hate, etc., on this day. And most importantly, we show unity in building smog. A big salute to your unity!

In our country, it is believed that the people dwelling in cities are well educated and smart enough to use the resources. But in my opinion, they are fools to have spent money to give rise to such distressing levels of pollution so much so that the government has to shut down the schools for one week. We spend lots of money on our children for better education and life, but when it comes to a day like Diwali, we forget our responsibilities.

Poison runs through the sweets we taste. Alcohol in the blood increases the chances of eve-teasing and harassment of girls. The irony is that every year, the same disaster happens and the next year we just repeat the same actions. It simply indicates we are much worse than animals. Please don’t think that only human beings are disturbed by the noise and smoke on Diwali; animals and birds suffer much more. Just one night of noisy fun can shorten your life by many years. In your last moments of life, don’t blame others! Just reflect on your past, and you will get the answer as to why you are at the doors of death.

Before concluding, my question to you all is, what is the true meaning of our Diwali festival? I think we all have the answers, but we are scared to do anything about it. It is us who have jointly helped to make the smog cloud; now, it is no use blaming each other. Future generations will only blame us for leaving them the world as it is.

Please let us not forget our responsibilities and duties towards our children, and our nature and its habitats. Don’t blame the government; start blaming yourself.