#DelhiSmog: When Will We Take Responsibility For What We Have Done?

There was a time when we wanted to visit Delhi, a time when Delhi was considered to be “dil waalo ki dilli!” (A common phrase to that plays on the word ‘dil‘, to mean the land of the large-hearted).

Regardless to say that being our country’s capital, it has everything which any capital city should have, be it be transport facilities, hospitality, advanced technology in education and IT, better infrastructure, fast services, best medical amenities, fast-growing industry of any kind, etc. I will say that Delhi is a well-planned city in which every generation wants to live.

Live? Here the question arises. Even though it is the country’s capital, ask yourself whether you really want to live in Delhi or you want to survive!

Mosy job-related core sectors are located in Delhi, so quitting one’s job is not an option, I know. But, breathing in pollutants is also not a solution. So, how can, and in what way, can remedial measures be taken?

Everyone is facing and suffering from this problem but no one is interested in taking initiatives to control it. Specifically, Delhites, who are ready to drive in any way and agree to breathe in this environment, don’t imagine the ways to tackle it. They want to spend money and hang out in Delhi, but not take steps regarding pollution control.

Yes, talking about the high AQI percentage has become a hot topic to discuss, mugging up information at any place. But we need to realise that taking measures to control this will be beneficial for you only and for the ones who are living outside Delhi and NCR.

There are certain measures which any ordinary person can take:

1. Car-pooling: This had been previously implemented but somewhere people forgot about it If people of Delhi don’t feel insulted, if their pride, ego, and attitude allows them to adopt this initiative again then it would be beneficial for our environment and foremostly, for Delhi’s air. Additionally, it will be economical for them, in that they will be able to save on petrol prices. Also, Delhi traffic, which is again a major problem, will reduce considerably.

2. This car-pooling method should be adopted by parents too. Accordingly, a family who picks and drop their children at their school regularly by their car can take responsibility for a few children living near their locality. This way, their safety can be ensured and also, traffic and smoke emissions as a result of so many cars, can be minimised.

3. Making metro fares cheaper.

4. Strict laws should be imposed regarding the number of vehicles owned by a family.

5. For shorter distances, one should buy and start using electric vehicles which is beneficial in every way, as well as economical.

6. If not in use, one should switch off the air conditioner and also use only when necessary.

7. Switch off the vehicle when waiting at a red light.

8. Each family should plant small saplings to maintain air quality.

9. All offices should allow their employees to come with their electric conveyance, and also provide them.

If this can be taken up as everyone’s duty, and everyone will take up responsibility regarding this matter, it will definitely help in improving Delhi’s air quality, and we will see a decrease in the air quality index.