A Novel Call To Action: Greta Thunberg Denies Environmental Award For Her Efforts

Although Greta Thunberg is a 16- year-old schoolgirl, she is not stressed regarding her studies, rather she stresses on the changing climate. This determination made her wage a crusade against the prevailing environmental crisis. At her young inexperienced age, the campaign has already reached an enormous level and she aims to reach the goal of mitigating it completely.

The young Swede Greta Thunberg is widely renowned as a climate activist who has openly declared her disinterest in accepting the award or the prize money (350,000 Danish Kroner) awarded by both Sweden and Norway for her efforts as a climate change warrior.

In a very ruminant mood, she stated that the climate movement needed more people in power to begin listening to the best available science and not awards.

View this post on Instagram

I have received the Nordic Council’s environmental award 2019. I have decided to decline this prize. Here’s why: “I am currently traveling through California and therefore not able to be present with you today. I want to thank the Nordic Council for this award. It is a huge honour. But the climate movement does not need any more awards. What we need is for our politicians and the people in power start to listen to the current, best available science. The Nordic countries have a great reputation around the world when it comes to climate and environmental issues. There is no lack of bragging about this. There is no lack of beautiful words. But when it comes to our actual emissions and our ecological footprints per capita – if we include our consumption, our imports as well as aviation and shipping – then it’s a whole other story. In Sweden we live as if we had about 4 planets according to WWF and Global Footprint Network. And roughly the same goes for the entire Nordic region. In Norway for instance, the government recently gave a record number of permits to look for new oil and gas. The newly opened oil and natural gas-field, ”Johan Sverdrup” is expected to produce oil and natural gas for 50 years; oil and gas that would generate global CO2 emissions of 1,3 billion tonnes. The gap between what the science says is needed to limit the increase of global temperature rise to below 1,5 or even 2 degrees – and politics that run the Nordic countries is gigantic. And there are still no signs whatsoever of the changes required. The Paris Agreement, which all of the Nordic countries have signed, is based on the aspect of equity, which means that richer countries must lead the way. We belong to the countries that have the possibility to do the most. And yet our countries still basically do nothing. So until you start to act in accordance with what the science says is needed to limit the global temperature rise below 1,5 degrees or even 2 degrees celsius, I – and Fridays For Future in Sweden – choose not to accept the Nordic Councils environmental award nor the prize money of 500 000 Swedish kronor. Best wishes Greta Thunberg”

A post shared by Greta Thunberg (@gretathunberg) on

Thanking the Nordic Council, a regional body for inter-parliamentary cooperation, she did not fail to call out Nordic countries like Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Iceland and territories of the Aland Islands and the Faroe Islands for not living up to their fame on major climate issues.

The 16-year-old pointed out that a serious deliberation on putting a check on our actual emissions and our ecological footprints is the need of the hour. She rose to reputation after protesting climatic concern on Fridays outside the Swedish Parliament from August 2018. Each Friday, she carried a poster displaying “school strike for climate.

Gazing at the cause started by her, others could only imagine how difficult this was for the one-woman army. However, her devotion has compelled all of us to commit to curb the impending doom. Her denial to accept the award is ample enough to prove her dedication to the cause and for the whole of humanity.

Featured image source: Wikimedia Commons.