What Should The Yardstick For Measuring Your Personal Success Be?

It has become a ritual to measure our lives against the yardstick of success. How do you define success? Is it earning a lot of money in a career you are not passionate about? Or is it being a good moral human being with healthy relationships but a small income?

Who has not heard about Sharmaji ka beta, (Mr Sharma’s son, a phrase used to refer to an overachiever, most commonly an acquaintance of your parents’)? The person who scores more than you; earns more than you; is more obedient than you; who cracked the MBA examination too! No offence to the actual Sharmaji’s beta.

We have been heedlessly following a diminutive culture that overvalues materialism and undervalues human virtues. Aren’t who we are today driven by an intrinsic goal? Isn’t our actual performance highly influenced by our self-efficacy? Then why are our values, ethics and emotions the last criterion to seal a decision? Do they not deserve a little more respect?

I am merely a beginner in this rat race of life, but I have come to believe that it doesn’t do for us to live without principles and ground rules. Their function is not to restrict us but to regulate us.

We should be less judgmental, live in the present, be introspective. Trust me, “be introspective” is not just a phrase. When you actually use it, it can do wonders in your day-to-day life. You stop being a passive viewer of your emotions and start being an active controller of your life.

And the external benefits? People like a non-judgmental person better; they are attracted to their candor like a bee is to a flower. They are able to deal with everyday problems more efficiently, being able to distinguish between their own self and their perceived image in others’ eyes.

We need to revolutionise our thinking. Sure, money is important in life; but it can’t be the only criterion to measure success in life.

If you tell every little detail of your day to a person without any hesitation or fear of being judged, you are rich. People actually strive for what you have: a real bond.

If you have the choice to choose between clothes, shoes, books, and looks, that should be something to make you feel rich. No matter if you couldn’t buy those exquisite boots or the perfect dress, you actually have the sense of security of a home, the shelter of parents who care about you, teachers eager to guide you, a vision for your future.

Think about all these things that God has granted you before cribbing about petty things. You’ll feel better, grateful and rich.

Featured image source: Pexels.