Who Stands To Lose In Maharashtra’s Political Tug Of War?

The people have voted for a leader in their constituency—be it because of their ideological inclination or the competency of the candidate. Then, the duty of the elected representative is to accomplish the sustainable functionality of the bureaucratic machinery under them and carry out the assigned task of development and consolidation of their respective constituency.

When all the parties campaign on farmers upliftment, education, jobs and overall development, what difference does it make whether a certain party or a group of parties sit on one side of the parliament (majority) and the others sit on the other side (opposition)? All they have to do is have discussions there and come up with good and efficient strategies or policies relevant to the state or the country as a whole.

Election is the voice of the people, and the people have spoken. They have chosen their favorite candidate from a list of candidates based on certain criteria. Would re-election change the trust of the people on that particular candidate? What would happen in another six months that may change their selection criteria? A voter, who has voted for a particular candidate based on their judgement, when provided with the same list of candidates, would their decision—if the candidate proclaims to join or leave a particular alliance in the future—change?

The mechanism of the election process when a single party does not win a clear majority is very ambiguous and confusing to a layman voter.