This Constitution Day, Here’s What We Need To Keep In Mind About Our Country

Let’s celebrate Samvidhan Divas or Constitution Day or National Law Day. It was November 26, 1949, when the Constituent Assembly of India adopted the constitution of the country which, however, came into effect on January 26, 1950.

Adhering to the law of the land is not only an honour to the establishment but also strengthening the nation and ensuring the better prospects of countrymen. Broadly speaking, the rights of every citizen are well protected and justice for all is well enshrined in the book for all to follow.

But can the law be selective? People are often heard saying that what is happening is “one law for the rich and another for the poor.” Is that in any way a natural delivery of justice for mankind? Rather, everybody is expected to be equal in the eyes of the law, more particularly in democratic set up that we have chosen to stay with. A self-chosen form of government is the best possible one. The monarchy is a matter of the past.

However, those close to the power behave like that they are a law unto themselves, leaving the common man beleaguered and victimised of their oppression; almost like an inebriation of their powers. Reports are all around: who will bell the cat?

So what will these commoners do? They will have no option but to choose the path of the saying – necessity knows no law. Who will deny the fact that self-preservation is the first law of nature? On the contrary, nobody should be allowed to take the law into their own hands. Hence, it is incumbent upon the government to ensure the infallible justice to all.

Let the law be equally applicable to everybody irrespective of their caste, creed, religion, highs or lows. It is high time the philosophy of Thomas Fuller’s words, “be you never so high, the law is above you,” be brought into practice in letters and spirits. This will be a real tribute to the architect of the Indian Constitution, Dr Bhim Rao Ambedkar, who in every possible manner put in everything for the best possible form of governance and rule.

What is needed is practice and adherence to the Constitution of the country, not the way Shiv Sena has declared that their party will boycott celebrations. National interest must be above party politics for petty gains. Currently, a blame game is on. The lives of masses are at stake with places like Delhi choking.

Even the apex court has intervened asking the political parties enjoying the power to unite to work for the cause and stop the gas chamber burning in the national capital of the country.

Shall we wake up to the call on this National Law Day or remain within the precincts of our houses continuing to pass the buck?

Featured image for representative purpose only.
Featured image source: BAPSA/Facebook.