While The People In Power Declared An Emergency In Delhi, Did They Take Any Action?

WhyOnEarth logo mobEditor’s Note: Are you bothered by the drastic changes in our climate, causing extreme weather events and calamities such as the Kerala Floods? #WhyOnEarth aims to take the truth to the people with stories, experiences, opinions and revelations about the climate change reality that you should know, and act on. Have a story to share? Click here and publish.

Dear Rama/Allah/Jesus/Sai baba/Buddha/Guru Nanak,

We have all heard of invisible cities in poetic metaphors. We also read about cities uncovered underwater, which must have drowned when the sea either reclaimed its land or decided to enter new territory.

These metaphors are turning into reality. As I think of Delhi sitting in Jakarta, I know that one city has turned partially invisible for a few days, and the other is always on the verge of being reclaimed by the sea. The forgetful human mind needs to be reminded every time, that Delhi has been turning invisible at this time of the year, for many Octobers and Novembers now. The only difference this time is that the visibility levels have gone down many notches, unlike previous years.

How can we even belie these realities when we all know that history repeats itself? Many, including our elected representatives, right up to the president, are showing their backs to us and mother nature, not knowing that they need clean air as much as any of us. Most of us have already given up on them because they are busy saving an economic slowdown, not realising that the very humanity which created this economy, is soon going to be knocked down by its very creator, which I have been told is you!

I don’t know whether I should feel unlucky about being born in this century, and pessimistic about the what future has in store for humanity, or I should feel blessed to have been given this opportunity, to be born at a time, when mother nature is extremely strained and needs atleast some of us to be her saviour’s voice.

Recently, some of our rebels were put behind bars for being the voice of trees which give us our badly needed oxygen. I was up in laughter, and even wanted to ask if the police, the bureaucrats, and the politicians breathe nitrogen or carbon monoxide?

The past is evidence that humans have fought humans, and brought a near end to mankind. What we are witnessing is nothing different. Newborn toddlers are crying for breath, children are marching across cities demanding the declaration of a climate emergency, and many are turning theatrical, and frustratingly aggressive, to express their breathless state. Many, including myself, are contemplating if we can save ourselves and our young brethren from the vicious air of Delhi. A few days ago, this very city declared a health emergency.

While the youth globally, was shouting at the top of its voice, demanding action, it seems it fell on deaf ears. And now, when the calamity is knocking on our doors, we are declaring an emergency in Delhi; when all of India and most of the world is facing a similar situation, at different stages. Not that those who declared the emergency are taking any action, but atleast they have accepted that it is indeed alarming.

God, whosoever and wherever you are, the only reason I am writing to you on the behalf of newly borns yesterday, today and tomorrow, is because we have lost faith in our system. We, humans, cannot trust many amongst us who were chosen to act responsibly for our future.

It is indeed hilarious that when oxygen levels drop further, we won’t be able to buy it with money nor will human beings be able to create it. Maybe, only you can show us the way, and if you have also given up on your very creation, please throw down the ladder to heaven, and guide us on the path of self-immolation. I will be happy to be crucified, rather than breathe this poison, and cry helplessly in misery and pain.

For Kiyaan, 10-month-old, strained for fresh air.