Soft Power: The Building Blocks Of Employment!

For many years now, I have been hearing the same thing again and yet again. The thing is simple and comprises of a statement which is followed by a question! “I have been applying to so many jobs but there is no new update! How do I get a job man?” This is a problem that is faced by almost everybody in India and people of every age. Are you one of them? If you are then keep reading, and if you are not, believe me, you are going to learn something new!

We have to understand the fundamentals behind this “thing”. As per AISHE, which stands for All India Survey on Higher Education, in the Year 2018-2019 2,98,29,075 students enrolled in some undergraduate studies in India, this basically means that in a perfect world (assuming), after an average study of 4 years (another assumption), 2,98,29,075 students will be graduating. If we, as Indians, expect the Government to create that many jobs in the next four years, then we are just fooling ourselves. And, I say this not because Government is not working towards creating jobs as much as they can, but the fact that they are creating over two crore jobs in a span of four years while providing jobs to previous year graduates too is impossible.

So, it all comes down to the race! A race which determines who is better than everybody else. There was a time when people used to tell me that “You have to be better than just the one sitting next to you!” but in reality, this statement is completely wrong. These days I tell people that “You have to be better than everybody else!” Now, this is where the challenge begins for you.

We have to ask ourselves, what can we do to be picked out from the crowd in an instant? And, believe me, faking credentials in your resume is not going to work! We have to remember, we are in India where for the last many years, students are learning the same thing, being taught the same thing, and we are even using the same books! That’s worrisome, because it means, not just you have the same skill set as your classmate but the same skill set as your senior and as your junior. There is a huge probability that the job that you are aiming for, might slip your hands and be given to your junior. Has it happened before? Yes, it has, and it will again!

This is where I bring the concept of “Soft Power“! The concept is very simple, convert your soft skills such as fluency in English, or public speaking confidence, or presentation skills, or even debating skills, to Soft Power which basically are key points that will make you stand out from the rest of your competitors. I have browsed through thousands of resumes and in every resume I have seen words “Skills” and people will write the weirdest stuff in it to put up about six points that will include “Fluent in English”, “Hardworking”, “Quick Learner”, “Ability to work in Teams”, “Time Management” and the like. And here comes the disappointment, all of these so-called “skills” are nothing but fake.

A guy who says he is “Fluent in English” does not know how to speak English at all, doesn’t know the difference between Principal and Principle, does not know the principal difference between Need and Want. (P.S. If you think that my use of principal in the previous statement is wrong, please do look up the meaning of principal here.) Similarly, quick learners cannot write A to Z in reverse order in 30 seconds or less (Can you?), and the “ability to work in teams” don’t even remember their contribution in their senior project group submission!

Soft Power is “the one” group of skills that you possess as an Individual that sets you apart from the rest. You basically need to create a set of skills that you are comfortable with, you may not know them already but may desire them in yourself! It is like picking up flowers to create a bouquet. Every Soft Power is basically a soft skill you can learn given patience, time, and practice. Remember, depending on which soft skill you have picked up for yourself, it should follow the following pattern:

• The minimum number of soft skills required to convert into Soft Power is 8.
  • Out of 8 soft skills, 2 soft skills should be generalized such as Language Proficiency or Hard work.
  • 2 soft skills should be easily learned skills such as Working in Teams, or Public Speaking.
  • 3 soft skills should be of moderate toughness such as Quick Learning, or Presentation Skills,
  • and, 1 skill should be of very high difficulty such as Time Management.

The ability to present these Soft Powers in real life is very important! Just writing empty words in your resume does not help you in any way. These Soft Powers make you stand out from the rest and pinpoints your prospective employer towards you in hopes that you have what he is looking for. Because, he is looking for much more than your education, your certificates, and your fancy college name. He is looking for a dependable subordinate that he can trust with his own job. And believe me, that is exactly what he is looking for, somebody he can pass work to!

Remember, “One man’s need is another man’s opportunity!” People think that this statement applies for Employee who is in need of a job and an Employer who sees it as an opportunity but just shift your mind to this. If you are in need of a job and he is looking for an opportunity from you, why don’t you change the situation into your favour by making him believe that he needs you! You have to make him believe that he needs your Soft Powers and you have the opportunity to set the pace from that point onward in employment negotiations.

Created by Udit Garg

Do you agree with my concept of Soft Power?

Follow me here on YouthkiAwaaz, I will be sharing more tips and tricks on Soft Power and how Soft Power has the ability to turn your life upside down!