A Terror Accused Might Have A Say In Defence Policies: Isn’t This A Reason To Be Scared?

What are the consequences of doing something unforgivable? I can think of ten things on the top of my head, and none of them is a nomination to a 21-member parliamentary consultative committee on defence that will be headed by Defence Minister.

Whoever is reading this article right now, I’ll do a translation for you, which I like to call a millennial lingo translation, where “I can never forgive her” translates to “I will be back with her in a few months”. 10/10 works whenever a millennial is talking about their relationships, and what can I say, our Prime Minister does resonate with the youth.

For some time now, I started losing faith in democracy and the concept of a political party, because to my surprise, and I believe to a lot of people as well, BJP started fulfilling their election promises; like abrogation of Article 370, Congress Mukt Bharat etc. But my faith was finally restored when the BJP ‘promised’ to take action against Sadhvi Pragya, but then they decided to do nothing about it.

If you are still thinking why I and a lot of people on the internet are outraged over Sadhvi Pragya’s nomination, then I’ll give you a short insight into our first-time Member of Parliament of Bhopal.

Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, an accused in the 2008 Malegaon blasts case, faces multiple charges under sections of the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act, the Indian Penal Code, the Arms Act and the Explosive Substances Act. She is also an expert in dark magic, with specialisation in curses, a Godse sympathiser and a Gau-mutra enthusiast. My favourite part here is that none of this is made up, and you can almost prove her involvement in all the above-mentioned activities. Almost!

A parliamentary consultative committee is a platform where handpicked MPs from both the houses are selected by the Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs, and they discuss government policies and their further implementations on specific topics, which in this case, is the defence. Assigning a terror accused a post in such a vital committee, after her continuous controversial rows, and extremist statements only signals the sort of politics we are witnessing in the county right now.

So, the next time you step out of your house, a terror accused is probably discussing policies to ensure your safety with the Defence Minister. There are already enough reasons to feel unsafe in this country, where freedom of speech is as absent as our leader’s degrees, and well, now, we have another reason to be scared.