In Photos: Conservation Is The Backbone Of Our Historical And Cultural Heritage

World Heritage Week is celebrated all over the world every year from November 19 to 25. Various programs related to the preservation of historic structures and saving the traditional heritage of India are held by school and college students all over the country. This is mainly done in order to make people aware of the importance of our cultural heritage and its preservation.

Victoria Memorial and St. Paul’s Cathedral Church, Kolkata
Red Fort, Delhi

Red Fort of Delhi, Victoria Memorial of Kolkata, Gateway of India, Ajanta Caves, Agra Fort, Taj Mahal, Sundarbans, Sun Temple of Orissa, Rani Ki Pav, Humayun’s Tomb, Nilgiri Mountain Railways, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus are some significant monuments and heritage artifacts in India.

Writer’s Building, Kolkata
Rani-Ki-Vav, Gujarat

These heritage sites and monuments in India must be preserved as we will bequeath culture and tradition to the next generations.

General Post Office, Kolkata
Ajanta Caves, Maharashtra

The chief purpose of celebrating World Heritage Week is to increase awareness and encourage people to know more about the preservation and safety of the cultural heritage and monuments of the country.

Ellora, Maharashtra
Konark Temple, Orissa Image Credit: Wikimedia Commons.
National Research Laboratory for Conservation, Lucknow Image Credit: nrlc.gov.in

National Research Laboratory for Conservation in Lucknow has taken measures to save the original look of the stone structure of the Kashi Vishwanath Temple in the Varanasi which was built by Maharani Ahilya Bai Holkar of Indore in the year 1777.

Kashi Vishwanath Temple Varanasi Image Source: Wikimedia Commons

To me, heritage is living testament to your cultural, emotional and historical identity. It holds your roots in terms of a race a community or pure humanity. If we fail to preserve our roots, posterity shall slowly lose its identity,” said Goutam Chakraborty, the security-in-charge of Kolkata Port Trust.

All our heritage and our monuments cultivate pride in us about our past, making us feel unique!

Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh Image Source: Wikimedia Commons
Photo credit: Tirthankar Das and Wikimedia Commons.

CONTEST ALERT!

Have a period experience that really stood out for you? Share your story in 150 words or more and get featured on our homepage!

Participate now!