This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Earth Day Network India. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

This ‘Eco-Feminist’ Village In Rajasthan Plants 111 Trees Every Time A Girl Is Born!

More from Earth Day Network India

WhyOnEarth logo mobEditor’s Note: Are you bothered by the drastic changes in our climate, causing extreme weather events and calamities such as the Kerala Floods? #WhyOnEarth aims to take the truth to the people with stories, experiences, opinions and revelations about the climate change reality that you should know, and act on. Have a story to share? Click here and publish.

Earth Day Network-India is proud to recognise Piplantri village in the Rajsamand district of Rajasthan as the first ‘Earth Day Network Star Village’. This initiative was launched on October 22 to mark six months to Earth Day’s 50th anniversary on April 22, 2020. The announcements of other Star villages will be made by the 22nd of every month.

Piplantri has been a proud advocate and ambassador of eco-feminism. The villagers of Piplantri plant 111 trees every time a girl child is born. Isn’t this amazing! The community makes sure these trees survive and grow as do the girls. Piplantri’s success in increasing the green cover along with saving the girl child is an excellent example for other villages to emulate.

Shyam Sunder Paliwal, social campaigner and ex-sarpanch of Piplantri village led the way for the initiative #Trees4Earth.

EDN India Star Village Piplantri, Rajasthan

Earth Day Network is proud to recognise village Piplantri, Rajsamand, Rajasthan as the first Earth Day Network Star Village. This initiative is launched to mark six months to Earth Day’s 50th anniversary on April 22, 2020.Watch for announcements of other Star villages on the 22nd of every month.Did you know that the villagers of Piplantri in the Rajsamand district of Rajasthan plant 111 trees every time a girl child is born? The community makes sure these trees survive and grow as do the girls. Piplantri's success in increasing the green cover and alongside saving the girl child is an excellent example for other villages to emulate.Shyam Sunder Paliwal, social campaigner and ex-sarpanch of Piplantri village leads the way planting #Trees4Earth. (Photos courtesy Shyam Sunder Paliwal and the internet)

Posted by Earth Day Network-India on Friday, October 25, 2019

Earth Day Network is committed to improving our shared environment by planting trees across the globe. Since 2010, Earth Day Network has planted tens of millions of trees, working worldwide to strengthen communities through tree-planting initiatives. Using agroforestry and tree care training, we empower citizens and organisations to conserve, repair, and restore tree cover on their lands.

The benefits of conserving trees are extraordinary. Trees provide food, energy, and income to help communities achieve long-term economic and environmental sustainability. Trees also filter the air and help reverse the impacts of climate change. In just one year, a mature leafy tree produces as much oxygen as 10 people inhale!

Our goal for the 50th anniversary of Earth Day in 2020 is to plant 7.8 billion trees, one for every person on earth. You can join the change movement by planting trees and signing up for Earth Day Network’s ‘Trees for the Earth Campaignhere.

Featured Image Source: Piplantri.com
  1. Cleanup removes 10,000 kilograms of waste from River Ganga | Earth Day

[…] post was originally published in Youth Ki Awaaz and has been edited to fit style guidelines for Earth Day […]

2. This Indian village plants 111 trees when a girl is born | Earth Day

More from Earth Day Network India

By Subhransu Satpathy

By Be a Bridge for Change - BBC

By nishant anand