Why I Believe The Ayodhya Verdict Is A True Representation Of Indian Values

On November 9, 2019, the Supreme Court of India delivered a historic verdict on the historical story of Babri Masjid spanning hundreds of years, beginning with Babur and ending in country’s highest court.

This verdict was on a piece of disputed land between two communities (Hindu and Muslims) of Indian society, in Ayodhya – it can be viewed that Hindus received the claim to the disputed land and the Muslims were allotted 5 acres of separate land (almost double the land) in Ayodhya. And, the SC ruled that the demolition of the Babri Masjid in 1992 was a breach of the rule of law.

Article 142 of our Constitution ensure that wrongs committed must be remedied and empowers the court to deliver complete justice.

But what else did we get from this verdict?

This verdict was a wonderful showcase of values of our Constitution which grants us freedom, equality, secularism, brotherhood.

It not only left us with the solution of disputed land but also taught us the importance of values of faith or belief, constitutional values, harmony and brotherhood. Now it is everyone’s duty to stand on this, and we should gift a tribute to all the judges, counsels and associated administration in the form of peace. A gesture of peace from both the communities will be a reward for those who have deliberated on the solution to the issue.

There is a feeling of brotherhood in everyone’s hearts and the acceptance from everyone reflects the respect towards each other and towards each other’s faith. Now we can say that secularism is indeed an Indian value. I can see ahead, the path on which every community can walk together, from the point of this issue.

This case involved religion, history and the law. By accepting the verdict, we have proved that all these things can go together in our society. As the SC said, “our country has witnessed various invasions and dissensions, but the history and culture of this country have been home to quests for the truth.”

Most importantly, in the context of the judgment, the SC said that equity is an essential component of justice.

Featured image for representative purpose only.
Featured image source: Pinakpani/Wikimedia Commons.