Opinion: Why We Need To Stop Preaching The Law Of Karma

You all might be familiar with the Law of Karma and many of you may even be big believers of it (PS: I am not). So, in this blog, I will unwrap the foundations of this law, why I believe you like it, and why I do not.

To understand what’s wrong about the Law of Karma, we need to revisit the law itself. In layman terms, it means that:

Whatever a human does, it will come back to him/her.

So, if anyone does something good, then good things will happen to that person, and if they do bad, something bad will happen to them, to balance the neutrality of the universe.

My Opinion: Why They Might Have Made The Law Of Karma

To prevent you from feeling weak, to give you false hope, to justify your helplessness.

Here is what I think might have happened.

A long time ago, a group of very noble people may have seen that there are a lot of weak people in the society, who cannot take revenge, when beaten up by the kingsmen, for no reason. So, they might have introduced the concept of good karma and bad karma and the supreme Law of Karma. Now all the weak people have this hope that all the wrongdoers will one day suffer for what they do.

Yes, I just said that without thinking about how you will feel. To understand why I said that, consider this story.

Story Of Pete

Suppose there is a student named Pete, his fat classmates bully him, eat his lunch and trouble him whenever possible. Pete surrenders himself to the kids who bully him because he has a thin body structure, which makes him underconfident to speak up for himself.

Now, he has two options – one is to let this happen and believe in the Law of Karma, which says that one day all who bully him will get punished for their deeds, or to speak against it to his teachers, headmaster or parents, and get them punished.

In my opinion, a human of weak personality will go unwillingly, with the first option, and we both know that it isn’t justified. But someone with a bold personality might take some action, to get it resolved as soon as possible.

So, try to understand here; if Pete wasn’t aware of the Law of Karma, he would have been ashamed of his weakness, and after a point, he would have either cried, sharing his pain with his parents or he would have done something brave on his own, to resolve the matter, instead of holding on to the crutches of Karma. In the end, both of the possible actions would have helped him to ease out of the situation.

But in reality, he is aware of the Law of Karma and he is a strong preacher of this law. So that will give him hope, (false hope) that one day people who bully him will suffer and that will prevent him from taking any action. The story can move in two directions from this point; either he will suffer until his emotional breakdown, or he will lose faith in the Law of Karma itself, and decide to do something instead of holding the mirage of this false hope.

Even if somewhere in the future, the bullies feel guilty about what they did, then that pain of guilt will not be equal to the pain Pete suffered. So in that way, I conclude that having a firm belief in the Law of Karma actually makes us suffer more.

What Should You Do?

Well, you should definitely not lean on to the Law of Karma; thinking that doing good things will actually make your life better; instead, work hard, be diplomatic and manipulate people in mild ways to achieve what you want.

And stand for yourself whenever you feel oppressed, feel free to take revenge if you feel you have the time and resources to do that, else, you will carry a lifelong regret in your heart for not doing anything.