Poem: A Caged Bird

Cherish ‘their’ rights being under attack.
Defend the crimes of a ‘certain’ institute; we offer cutbacks.
Demand ‘their’ undying love for our country in the face of adversity.
They’re there to protect you.
Wonder why ‘they’ despise our beautiful country?
All we did was keep ourselves warm in the fire that we saw burning.
Use ‘them’ as firewood, because we deemed ‘them’ unworthy.

Like a caged bird, sing the song that you want us to sing, pick the song that you want to pretend, symbolise what we want and we get what you want, the end; of a sharp knife, tip off the edge; dipped in your ink, what do you want to print?

Our papers filled with your gospel, ring; round our necks, enjoy the freedom that you’ve locked us in, we’re cautious when we talk, the hymn you often sing of freedom, what we long for.

Your predisposition fosters links, between our people and the monsters; incorporated by the leading wing, the right begins a fight within; you forget about your fight with them.

The bird-call was the hunters, the bell tolls and you wonder; you chime in, but the death knell rings, the jingo wins.

Like a caged bird, you sing the song that they want you to sing; pick the song that they want to pretend, symbolise what you want and you get what they want; the end.

Featured image for representation only.