A Letter To India’s Home Minister: I Refuse To Believe That CAA Is Not Discriminatory

Honourable Home Minister, India

Subject: Regarding CAA And NRC.

Respected sir,

You are the Home Minister of India. You first shoulder the responsibility of running your ‘Home’ smoothly and keeping each citizen happy in this home. You do show your concern about persecuted minorities in neighbouring countries Pakistan, Afghanistan and Bangladesh and even propose to give them space in India, but, very respectfully, you can’t do so at the cost of your own minorities.

Sir, can’t you see India burning? Who will be held responsible for it? You are well aware of unemployment on the rise, economic condition of the country, the GDP and India’s status on the hunger index. Can you please tell the country what’s the need of bringing a law which has nothing to do with India’s progress?

Anti-CAA student protest
The CAA is discriminatory. It is a blow on Article 14 of the Indian Constitution granting equality to each citizen of the country irrespective of religion.

Sir, we Indians have chosen you to take the country on the expedited path to development in each field. But that is not the case anymore. Very respectfully, we don’t need a situation where we discuss each other’s religion and fight with one another over it. We live like a family, regardless of religion. We are happy with each other. We need employment, facilities for farmers, food for the poor, a shelter for the homeless, and clothes for the needy.

Sir, you feel pained for minorities being persecuted in other countries. But what about us in India? Are we not humans?

The CAA is discriminatory. It is a blow on Article 14 of the Indian Constitution granting equality to each citizen of the country irrespective of religion. Sir, we have accepted each verdict, be it Triple Talaq, or even Ayodhya because we don’t want to fight in the name of Mandir-Masjid anymore. But now, it’s a matter of our existence.

How long will we be stuck in such things? How long will we fight with each other in the name of religion? Just look at other countries, they are making progress day by day. But we, the people of India, are caught up in these divisive lines. Isn’t it sad that we have to prove whether we are Indians or not, despite that we have been here for thousands of years?

The law can be facilitated by an example to be understood. Here’s how: after NRC, if two people namely, Rakesh and Salim, go to prove their citizenship and both of them fail to do the same, then what will happen? Rakesh will get his citizenship with the help of “CAA”, but Salim won’t because the law CAA doesn’t include Muslims.

Therefore, we Indians request you to either take the law back or make some changes to it.

Hoping we shall be heard.

Thanking you,
We Indians.