Why Couldn’t Jharkhand’s Ex-CM Raghubar Das, Retain His Own Constituency?

Arrogance is the highest cost of losing a position of power.

Former Chief Minister of Jharkhand Mr Raghubar Das and five-time MLA from Jamshedpur East, an experienced politician who was at his prime in his career in 2014, lost due to his arrogance, insensitivity and ego. As a Chief Minister, he had every power in his hand to deliver the long-pending promise of ownership claims to 86 bastis (homes) to the voters in his constituency, which took a rather unfortunate turn. He never paid any heed to the very people who made him the voice of Jamshedpur East.

He paid the price in 2019 election by losing his own constituency to a rebel, Mr Saryu Rai.

Further, during his tenure, incidents of lathi charge over a protest by para-teachers for regularisation and similar brutality over the Anganwadi workers reflected the deplorable state of mind the ruling government has towards its aggrieved citizens. The ex-CM completely lacked connection with the tribals when several sedition cases were filed against them. Even an FIR was registered for speaking against the ex-CM. There was no sign of humility coming from Das. There was nothing that Das and his team could ask his voters as there have been no credentials or development in the area of employment, infrastructure and basic amenities.

He paid the price in 2019 election by losing his own constituency to a rebel, Mr Saryu Rai. Time took its own course.