“I Miss My Professors”: How The Shutdown In Kashmir Is Affecting Its Students

You know, nothing has happened in Kashmir after the abrogation of Article 370. I have been home, between four walls for the last four months, staring at the wall, because our classes haven’t commenced yet since August 4. Nothing happened after the abrogation of Article 370. My brother, sister, mom, and Dad, all our schedules have been changed. No one goes out to work, to their school or university or the library.

A scene from Srinagar. Civilian life has been dotted with the presence of armed forces for decades in the valley, serving as a pressing reminder that the state is under constant siege. (Photo: Kashmir Global/Flickr)

I think my 2-year master’s degree will take an endless amount of time to complete. Children who used to go to school have been sitting in their homes for four months now. Who is will teach them right and wrong, morals, etc? Which is the basic need of humanity.

Nothing has happened after the abrogation of Article 370. Closing schools is one of the worst things that happens in a conflict. Officially, the schools are supposed to be open, but no one dares to attend classes. If the students of universities, schools, colleges will go to attend their classes, anything can happen to them. There are now frequent bomb blast incidents happening all around. Last month too, there was a bomb blast in the vicinity of Kashmir university.

Nothing has happened after the abrogation Article 370. There has been an internet clampdown since August 4. Anyone today can easily relate to what it is like to live with and without the internet. Smartphones with an internet connection have come to represent the whole world in our hands. Students pursuing higher education have started to not buy books anymore, and they study using research papers or PDF files. Now, can you imagine their situation? They can’t order books, and they can’t study using the internet either.
© BBC Network

With the closing of educational institutions, illiteracy levels will only get higher. Our children would be promoted to the next grade, and we will get our degrees, but, at the same time, losing the essence of education. Students are being promoted to new classes without even attending any class, so what is the point?

I have seen how students in the 8th standard were ‘mass promoted’ to the 9th standard without any examination because of floods during that year. When they were in the 10th standard, their syllabus had been cut in half because of the closing of their schools due to hartals (conflict-strike). And, when they had to sit for exams in the 12th standard, the majority of that batch failed because their basics to clear the exams were not as clear as they should have been. These are the kind of students that Kashmir might end up producing because of the conflict.

I am very desperate to see my professors and my friends once again.

Featured image for representation only.