‘Brown’: A Poem From ‘April Is Lush’

You and I,

All of us come from

the same place.

A mother who sees

all of us as one,

A mother who

raises her children to be warriors.

A mother who never sees

any disparity between her children,

irrespective of their orientation

or the color of their skin.

For her, you and I both are her children.

Imagine when you insult her children,

how does that mother feel?

One morning I woke up and tried

to rub the brownness off me,

and it didn’t go away that is when

I realised this is

who I am and

I embraced it

Yes, I am brown like the coffee

that ignites you every morning.

Yes, I am brown like the sizzling brownie your mouth waters for.

Yes, I am brown like the nispero you crave every season

Brown is what

I embrace,

and brown is what

embraces me.

So the next time

you call me ‘brown,

know that

yes, I am brown,

just like the

earth

under

your

feet,

and I am not

going anywhere.

– brown

About the Poet:

Aditya Tiwari is an Indian poet, writer, storyteller, and one of India’s emerging gay-rights activists known for going beyond the boundaries. Moving to New York in 2016 to pursue a degree in Journalism, Aditya wasn’t satisfied with being bi-cultural and realized that one had to be whole within the self.

A multi-passionate creative starting in 2014 with prose, and embracing poetry in 2017, it was clear when the party left, finding himself among some broken glasses and poetry, that he found his voice. However, you find your voice in inspiration, from within you, describing poetry as breathing fresh air, self-expression, and an extension of his being, that lights his fire.

Aditya raises his voice in alternating hushed and passionate tones of his poetry and asks you to do the same. His writing aims to touch on many different concepts with emotional connectivity through poetry, storytelling, and narrative. He published his first collection of poems, April is Lush, in April 2019.