Internet Services Restored In Assam And Other Major Updates On CAA Protests

The entire nation has been engulfed in a series of protest activities against the recently sanctioned CAA; that has been accused of religious discrimination and ambiguity of authorised citizenship. It has been almost a week since both the houses of parliament have passed this bill, however, no date has yet been announced as to when the Act is going to be implemented.

Protests against CAA were held in Lucknow, West Bengal, Mumbai and several other cities and states in India on 19th December.

There have been rapid developments in the incidents across the country. Some of the major developments so far  have been :

• Restoration of internet services in Assam after the orders from Guwahati high Court. The net was suspended ten days ago.
  • Protests are likely to intensify in Delhi despite the implementation of section 144. Four more major metro stations – Delhi gate, Jama Masjid, Lal Qila and Chawri Bazar have been closed down and the trains will not halt in these stations. Peaceful protest has been scheduled at India Gate at 5 PM, on 20th December 2019.
  • Section 144 implemented in various areas of Madhya Pradesh to maintain peace.
  • Security Forces have been on high alert in Uttar Pradesh following massive violence. Mobile Internet has been disrupted throughout the state and SMS services too were stopped.
  • Delhi Mahila Cong chief and Pranab Mukherjee’s daughter, Sharmistha Mukherjee has been detained near Amit Shah’s residence.
  • Prohibitory order further strengthens in 12 police stations, in Northeast Delhi.
  • Police conduct flag march in Seelampur area.
  • Congress Delegation detained at the Mangaluru airport; they have been asked to go back. Karnataka High Court criticises the state government for imposing 144.
  • Bhim Army Chief Chandrasekhar Azad led a protest at Jama Masjid and was detained by police.
  • Protests were held in Charminar vicinity, Hyderabad and in August Kranti Maidan, Mumbai.