“We Came To Protest Peacefully, But The Police Lathi-Charged Us,” Jamia Students

After the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill got a nod from the President, various protests were reported across the country. Different universities are protesting against this Bill since the day it was tabled in the Parliament. On Friday evening, a similar protest was held at Jamia Millia Islamia University. This protest was called by the Jamia students, Teaching Association and the Non-teaching staff. The protest included a march from Jamia to Parliament Street. Looking at the magnitude of the protest, Delhi Police imposed section 144 of the CRPC in the area and barricaded the way from the university to the Parliament.

The march took a violent turn at 3:30 pm when students tried to barge the police barricades; in response, the police caned the students. “We came here for a peaceful protest; it is the sign of a democracy, but they lathi-charged us. They did not spare even the girls; when we asked why you are doing this, they said we have orders,” said a protester. More than a thousand students joined the protest and shouted slogans against the Bill. To control the situation, the police fired tear gas shells, which triggered the students, and in response, stones were pelted. Some policemen and a media person were also injured in this deadlock.

Student protest at Jamia Millia Islamia, Delhi

“We, the students of Jamia, who fought for the Independence of India, request all the citizens of India to please come out in our support and save the constitution of this nation,” said Mohammad Seraj Alam. The protesters hit the effigy of Narendra Modi and Amit Shah to show their angst against the CAB. “India is a secular and democratic country; we don’t know on which basis they are discriminating us. We don’t know. But we have to fight against this. Today, they are targeting us, tomorrow, they will persecute the Dalits; we have to fight against this Bill together,” said second-year student Tasneem.

“We are protesting against this bill because the NRC and CAB challenged the basic framework of the constitution. They are providing citizenship on the basis of religion; they are trying to disturb a particular community, and we are against it,” said Amaan.

In the evening, the protest was addressed by Umar Khalid; he cornered the government on patriotism and said that our patriotism comes from Ashafaqulla Khan and Bhagat Singh. You can’t teach us the lesson of patriotism.

Delhi Police arrested more than 50 students. The Jamia’s Alumni Association has demanded the release of these students and issued a circular notice. Apart from this, more than a dozen students were injured and hospitalized in the nearby Holy Family Hospital.