Police Brutality In Jamia Millia Is A Blatant Violation Of Human Rights

Jamia Millia Islamia, a central university in Delhi was attacked by the Delhi Police on December 15, 2019. The police entered the university and lathi-charged the students, fired tear gas and bullets, and also damaged the university library, hostels, and other public spaces in the university.

The police action is a grave violation of the human rights of the students of Jamia Millia Islamia, which is also a minority institution. The students were protesting peacefully against the Citizenship Amendment Act, and had also distanced themselves from the violence which had occurred on the streets, as they were only a part of the peaceful protests.

Yet, the police entered the university campus and held the students’ hostage, and also physically attacked them, as a result of which, many students have been injured. There are also reports of missing students and deaths which need to be verified.

The Jamia administration has also issued a statement that they did not allow the police to enter the campus, and that they (the police) entered the campus forcefully.

A protest march has been organised at Jantar Mantar, Delhi, today. December 16, 2019, at 2 PM. Kindly join in large numbers, and also sign this petition to raise your voice against this blatant human rights violation of the students.

Featured image credit: Twitter