Quick Byte: Like The 2,000 Youth Who Cleaned Up Mumbai’s Beach, We Need To Step Up!

Earth Day Network, a global environmental NGO that grew out of the first Earth Day will mark its 50th Anniversary on April 22, 2020. As a lead up to this historic occasion, Earth Day Network has launched several campaigns. Great Global Cleanup is one among these which brings people together to work to remove trash from land spaces and waterways.

As part of the Great Global Cleanup campaign, Earth Day Network India partnered with the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change for their Swachh-Nirmal Tat Abhiyaan initiative. Over November 11 to November 17, 2019, around 2,000 youth from some 45 colleges worked tirelessly to gather over 48 tonnes of waste at the Girgaon Chowpatty Beach in Mumbai.

A lot of activities were planned to keep the youth engaged, and this included walks by marine biologists to help the participants ‘discover’ the many interesting creatures that inhabit the beach. A special snakes and ladders board game was also arranged with the theme #EndPlasticPollution and had many enthusiastic players.

The Social Forestry Department, Thane, the National Service Scheme, the National Cadet Corps, and the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (that transported the collected waste for scientific disposal) supported Earth Day Network to ensure the success of the cleanup.

We appeal to all citizens of Earth, please do your bit to help clean up our planet. For an opportunity to record your efforts and get recognition for the same, hear here!