Love Is Not That Simple For A Person With A Disability, But Let’s Open Up

I have always felt that everyone in this world has the freedom to love. Love, for me, is an unconditional feeling of affection towards the other person. Most people feel that self-love isn’t really important when you are talking about love. I don’t think so; a person really does need to love herself or himself, before finding love outside.

Love is not that simple for a person with a disability. We are usually dependent on others for our physical or psychological needs. We are often brought up to think that we are not worthy of love. Due to our physical or mental disabilities, we are not encouraged to find a date or a life partner like anyone else. It always said that we are not really worthy of someone’s love.

I think that this is the only reason why we often stop loving ourselves. Lack of self-love is a major issue in the life of a person with disabilities. In our home or our locality, we often get to hear that you would not be able to do something in your life. Some people take it as a challenge, and some people take it as the sole truth.

As the concept of dating and love is concerned, most people think that we would not be able to articulate these feelings. I have personally experienced these kinds of emotions in my life. I have always advocated about freedom to love, love for ourselves and others. Love being a universal feeling, I have nothing to hide or confide that yes, I love someone special in my life.

With this statement, I have opened up a discussion about love and disability. I hope today, on World Disability Day, we, Persons with Disabilities, talk about our lovers, crushes, or our attraction to someone. #LetsOpenUp