Isn’t It High Time We Prioritised Women’s Right To Step Out At Night?

Why are our women not at all safe when they are out for work? This question has only one answer: our girls and women are not safe because of men; because men have been taking advantage of women who are out or stuck in someplace.

This is clearly visible from the recent rape cases that have plagued India, and it shows how the safety of women out on the roads of India does not seem to matter at all.

The recent brutal rape and murder of a veterinary doctor in Hyderabad showed how women are forced to and expected to not go out to isolated places for work, even it is very much required. Till when will women have to face such conditions? Why are they not able to work just because of some cowards (the rapists)? Women have to live within ‘boundaries’ and it’s like they can’t even think of doing work.

Parents also never relax until and unless their daughters come back home safely. Why do girls and women have to think thousands of times before stepping out of their homes? In India, the number of rape cases reported has only been rapidly increasing.

When it will stop? Till when will women have to think twice before stepping out of the house? Till when women will feel unsafe when it gets dark?

In India, there is an unwritten rule that after it gets no girl or woman steps out unless they have to. Here, people say that we have achieved gender equality. Is this gender equality?

It seems like this is not going stop in India, women will have to return from work by 7 PM whether it is 20th century or 21st century. Due to a few cowards, the lives of women are bound within boundaries and if anyone dares to do something extraordinary to make their parents feel proud, they are raped, burnt, murdered.

Everyone teaches their daughters how to dress up or when to go out. But, has anyone ever wondered, if it is the fault of one’s clothes, then why do children as young as one year or a 70-year-old get raped? It isn’t the dress or the time, it’s in the mindset of the rapists that cannot be reformed unless any strict action is taken against them.

Why are people only talking about what to do with these rapists? Why don’t people, including our government, think about ways to stop and even eradicate rape from India?

Road safety should be monitored and improved as well as the safety of women so that they can travel at night. This should be a major concern.

Featured image for representation only.
Featured image credit: Getty Images