A Homemaker’s Job Is Relentless And Hard: It’s Time We Respected It

Yes, you read it right. Being a housewife is a full-time job, a profession. It is quite interesting that we do not consider homemaking a profession, but according to me, it’s one of the hardest professions ever. As a student, I always see my mother completing a lot of tasks simultaneously. And this made me realise that her work is much harder than my father’s.

woman making rotis
It’s about time we treated housewives with as much respect as we treat other professionals. Image via Flickr

A housewife is an all rounder; she not only cooks but also does plenty of other menial work which we don’t even count. And that is why it is the hardest profession of all.

Take other professionals for example. A carpenter only works with furniture, a doctor’s work is limited to his patients, a teacher only looks after her students, but a mother—she not only cooks but also manages the entire household; she binds together the entire family. She is someone who always tends to motivate her children to engage in productive work and become a successful person.

We can’t even compare the tasks of a mother with any other profession. It is an unpaid job and is beyond monetary considerations. We all get holidays on weekends, but does our mother take any break from her work? The answer is NO. She never ever takes a break and is forever on her toes, right from preparing breakfast to coaxing us to come for dinner and helping her children with their homework.

A homemaker is much underrated in India. We look at housewives as if they are illiterate, but their work is harder than the rest of the professions put together. We don’t even get an inkling of what a woman sacrifices for her husband and children because she always has a big smile on her face.

It’s about time we treated housewives with as much respect as we treat other professionals.